Bad behaviour?

Bonjour

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Guinea pig keeps pulling on my clothing hard when I'm taking him out of the cage and putting him back. As though he hates being held. He wasn't like this months ago and his personality has changed. He's putting small holes in my clothes and I'd like him not to!

You could use a small fleece pets blanket and gather him up in it gently. They have delicate ribs and back and being held by a huge creature is probably a bit like being picked up by a mechanical digger would be for us, scary. It's good that he's trusts you enough to express his opinion. He is possibly afraid of leaving his herd and his cage. All you can do is handle him gently for short periods, using the blanket to support him and hope he will start to trust you and feel more comfortable about being held. Then the chewing should reduce by itself as he overcomes his anxiety.

You could use a small fleece pets blanket and gather him up in it gently. They have delicate ribs and back and being held by a huge creature is probably a bit like being picked up by a mechanical digger would be for us, scary. It's good that he's trusts you enough to express his opinion. He is possibly afraid of leaving his herd and his cage. All you can do is handle him gently for short periods, using the blanket to support him and hope he will start to trust you and feel more comfortable about being held. Then the chewing should reduce by itself as he overcomes his anxiety.
I've had him for six months ,he was neglected and hated being picked up but then really settled and had no problems. Only in the last month he has gone back to hating being picked up and biting is very unusual for him. I've been taken a back with the biting as he was never like that. Maybe rebellion.

How old is he? Maybe he's having a hormone spike, or just comfortable enough now to let you know how he's feeling.
Does he have a companion?

Mine does this too when he wants to go back to his cage to potty or when has had enough of me. I can even tell the level of desperation/annoyance he has as he tends to pull on my clothes for longer period of time if its urgent and just a short gentler pull/nibble otherwise. I take that as him being confident enough to express his feelings and trusting me. It is also great, because he doesn't do his business on me. But he never made holes in my clothes.

I think he might also nibble/pull on your clothes if you hold him uncomfortably or he doesn't feel secure. Many piggies don't like being picked up. Maybe try picking him up in cuddle cup.

Also please don't call this bad behaviour. Being held/picked up might be too stressful for him.

Also please don't call this bad behaviour. Being held/picked up might be too stressful for him.
Also please don't call this bad behaviour. Being held/picked up might be too stressful for him. I was questioning if it's bad

I was questioning whether it's bad behavior or not. It's the change in behaviour I'm trying to work out. He was not biting six months ago though he has never really liked being picked up

Is he like trying to bite you or just the clothes? Does he settle down once in your lap now? Mine can go a bit hard on the clothes or fleece when he is desperate to get in his cage during cleaning. But usually gentler if it's my skin.

But there were times when he lunged at my hand as to scare me of. That started after a vet visit in which i was holding him for a shot. I was too wondering what happened. Because he was such a calm gentle boy, before. I could even check his teeth and suddenly he wouldn't let me touch him. Things got better though he sometimes still lunges at me. No deep bites, just a few small scratches. I don't think he actually wants to bite, just to communicate - don't touch me there, no lap time, i have had enough. Which I respect. He does that too if i try to pick him up, but he needs to pee or poo and then he goes to his "pick up" corner.

I would suggest to handle him in a way that is safe for you and for him and doesn't allow him access to your clothes. Also if he really doesn't want to be held at that time, maybe leave it for later.

I think if you can figure out what is the cause of the biting you can show him a different way to achieve it. My other guinea pig climbs close to my shoulder instead of pulling on my clothes. I kinda taught him to do that. He wasn't doing tht when I got him.

Guinea pig keeps pulling on my clothing hard when I'm taking him out of the cage and putting him back. As though he hates being held. He wasn't like this months ago and his personality has changed. He's putting small holes in my clothes and I'd like him not to!

Hi

Use a blanket over your clothes. Guinea pigs are very good at working out how they can get you to do what they want. Often this is through negative behaviours. It is a misconception that most piggies like long cuddles. Your piggy has not got enough confidence and trust to tell you their true feelings.

Here are some tips on how you can deal with problems by using guinea pig body language and social concepts ('Piggy whispering'):

He could also have some pain somewhere, perhaps ear ache or a problem in his mouth. It's worth asking the vet to check him over. Even if he is eating and moving normally, there might still be something that he usually hides as piggies can be good at concealing signs of illness. Being prey animals, they don't want potential weakness to attract predators looking for an easy meal.

Is he like trying to bite you or just the clothes? Does he settle down once in your lap now? Mine can go a bit hard on the clothes or fleece when he is desperate to get in his cage during cleaning. But usually gentler if it's my skin.

But there were times when he lunged at my hand as to scare me of. That started after a vet visit in which i was holding him for a shot. I was too wondering what happened. Because he was such a calm gentle boy, before. I could even check his teeth and suddenly he wouldn't let me touch him. Things got better though he sometimes still lunges at me. No deep bites, just a few small scratches. I don't think he actually wants to bite, just to communicate - don't touch me there, no lap time, i have had enough. Which I respect. He does that too if i try to pick him up, but he needs to pee or poo and then he goes to his "pick up" corner.

I would suggest to handle him in a way that is safe for you and for him and doesn't allow him access to your clothes. Also if he really doesn't want to be held at that time, maybe leave it for later.

I think if you can figure out what is the cause of the biting you can show him a different way to achieve it. My other guinea pig climbs close to my shoulder instead of pulling on my clothes. I kinda taught him to do that. He wasn't doing tht when I got him.
He's pulling at my clothes , not biting as such. He's doing it the minute I get him out of the cage and when he's put back. When he's on my knee he's fine other than a bit of teeth chattering (he chatters the teeth when he's quite relaxed). He had suffered neglect before we got him and he absolutely hated being picked up but he got over it. He seems to have regressed a bit.

It's sounds like it's the handling part he doesn't like. Definitely a check up from the vet is a good idea, just to make sure that there is no physical cause. He is being quite a polite piggy, worrying at your clothes to tell you something. It's our job as carers to work out what it means.

To me it sounds like he is scared during the pick up and eager to get to his cage when you put him down. Might as well be frustration, if he doesn't want to be out of the cage.

Does he pull on your clothes during the transportation as well?

I think you can give him a threat when you are handling him to keep him occupied or when he is at your lap, so he kinda connects the whole experience with something positive. I do that, but not every time.

Also if there is a time when he doesn't pull at your clothes as normal, you can give him a threat then as well, kinda like positive reinforcement and the stroke near the eyes. I did that when Mylo wasn't lunging at my hands. It was impossible for me to lift his head when he was like that as he was getting stressed out and more aggravated and I was scared that he might bite deep. He is a lot better with this now and he is easier to groom and to do health checks out of my two piggies.

There might many reasons why he does that, I gave you some ideas, but you as the owner are the one who is the most in tune with him and has to figure it out. Each piggy has it's own quirks as well.

If you think he doesn't want to be held at that time then respect that and leave it for later.
If you think it's because he is scared/uncomfortable than try to hold him in a different way or use something to transport him- cuddle cup, blanket, etc..., give him treats and lots of patience. How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

If you think it's something more of a habit than the Piggy whispering tactics might work better.
You get the gist of it.

But if he is doing that to display discomfort/stress I wouldn't want him to stop until the problem is resolved.

From what I have read many piggies do this, some even say they might do it as a sign of affection to groom you. It depends on the specific situation.

I feel you. My Mylo did a 180 in terms of his behaviour right after that vet visit, when I tried to take him out of his career.

In a previous post you said you think it is rebellion, may I ask why you think that?

Also it might be something that he will keep on doing and you need to find a way to not let him near your clothes, rather than changing his behaviour. Would be easier and quicker.

Also isn't teeth chattering usually a sign of dissatisfaction/anger, i might be wrong though? You learn something new every day 😃

To me it sounds like he is scared during the pick up and eager to get to his cage when you put him down. Might as well be frustration, if he doesn't want to be out of the cage.

Does he pull on your clothes during the transportation as well?

I think you can give him a threat when you are handling him to keep him occupied or when he is at your lap, so he kinda connects the whole experience with something positive. I do that, but not every time.

Also if there is a time when he doesn't pull at your clothes as normal, you can give him a threat then as well, kinda like positive reinforcement and the stroke near the eyes. I did that when Mylo wasn't lunging at my hands. It was impossible for me to lift his head when he was like that as he was getting stressed out and more aggravated and I was scared that he might bite deep. He is a lot better with this now and he is easier to groom and to do health checks out of my two piggies.

There might many reasons why he does that, I gave you some ideas, but you as the owner are the one who is the most in tune with him and has to figure it out. Each piggy has it's own quirks as well.

If you think he doesn't want to be held at that time then respect that and leave it for later.
If you think it's because he is scared/uncomfortable than try to hold him in a different way or use something to transport him- cuddle cup, blanket, etc..., give him treats and lots of patience. How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

If you think it's something more of a habit than the Piggy whispering tactics might work better.
You get the gist of it.

But if he is doing that to display discomfort/stress I wouldn't want him to stop until the problem is resolved.

From what I have read many piggies do this, some even say they might do it as a sign of affection to groom you. It depends on the specific situation.

I feel you. My Mylo did a 180 in terms of his behaviour right after that vet visit, when I tried to take him out of his career.

In a previous post you said you think it is rebellion, may I ask why you think that?

Also it might be something that he will keep on doing and you need to find a way to not let him near your clothes, rather than changing his behaviour. Would be easier and quicker.I was only kidding when I said rebellion , he's coming on for two so I was thinking of toddler behavior. I wrapped him in a towel when I got him out today and he was fine , no pulling. When I picked him up.withoit the towel I held him a bit tighter and he seemed to look more secure. Maybe I've been picking him up.too loosely / casually

Also isn't teeth chattering usually a sign of dissatisfaction/anger, i might be wrong though? You learn something new every day 😃
Yeah it is , but he usually has his feet stretched out relaxing at the time. He's a strange little fella

As in the terrible twos 😆 I think that guinea pigs out of all pets are the most similar to babies/toddlers in terms of their behaviour and the way we take care of them.

I am glad you found something that works out for you. It sounds like your piggy has quite an intresting personality 😍 good that he is in better hands now, with someone that cares deeply for him.

As in the terrible twos 😆 I think that guinea pigs out of all pets are the most similar to babies/toddlers in terms of their behaviour and the way we take care of them.

I am glad you found something that works out for you. It sounds like your piggy has quite an intresting personality 😍 good that he is in better hands now, with someone that cares deeply for him.
He had a difficult start, neglected and possibly not handled. He does love me because he jumps on to my shoulder but I'd rather he didn't put holes in my clothing. I still love him

One of mine started doing it to demand treats during lap time. We taught him to give a kiss instead. Now the other boy does it but not as aggressively. 🙄

Back