• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

back legs not right

• Thread starter Thread starter tawny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

the other night i noticed bubbles had a limp, i checked her over and there was no signs of any damage and she didn't mind me looking. i put it down to a strain like a couple of my other piggies have suffered in the past. a couple of days on she seemed ok but saturday evening i noticed she was not walking but sort of hop/jumping with her back legs.(if you know what i mean)

she felt lighter so i weighed her and she had lost weight :-\ bubbles is one of my very first pigs and always been the boss.

what I've done is put her on some baytril as i also noticed she seems to have very crusty eyes all of a sudden. she has shown no signs of a uri or anything else.

she has picked up and is now eating but not dried food and her back legs seem to be doing the odd proper walk but then she starts hoping again.

have given water and plenty of food with vitamin c.

obviously she is of to the vets this morning and fingers crossed.

is there anything else i can do for her ?

It sounds like it could be calcium deficiency.

If she were mine I would be starting her on Osteocare (from Boots) asap. I would also be giving Abidec baby vitamin drops to give her a boost.

Do let us know how she gets on.

thanks starshine, did think about calcium but wasn't sure what to use ( sounds stupid that) think the house move has stressed some of them even tho it's been 6 weeks now, mind you moving 37 of them was major and they have had to adapt to new cages and surroundings.

oh I hope Bubbles picks up soon my jinx was totally paralised back end at christmas but calcium and cage rest sorted it out he is now a lively run mate with dipstick

I agree with all the advice given. May sound obvious but if you make sure her nails have been clipped, when she gets better it will be easier for her to walk... :) O0

How old is Bubbles?

Our piggy Bella occasionally "bunny hops". She is four years old, so we have been giving Osteocare and vitamins like Starshine suggested, Bella actually loves this and bites the syringe wanting more of it! You can also give 1/2 a Tabritis tablet in water which is a herbal remedy for joint pain, if you look at Peter Gurney's website under "Old Age" this is what he recommends for "bunny hopping".

took bubbles to the vets and they couldn't find anything wrong. she did seem brighter probably due to the baytril i gave her ::) any way vet gave her a steroid injection and baytril injection and a fibre stuff that she is to have once a day to get her gut back to normal.

she has lost a lot of weight so i have to take her back in a few days. vet reckons that if she had hurt her leg ,it might be the pain that has caused her to stop eating.

Osteocare and Abidec multivitamins O0 O0

it can help even if thats what she might not need

Love from me too :smitten:

Is the any need for baytril if you're not sure there is an infection?

think the baytril was given because her eyes had been very crusty and there might have been a uri, i think.

still worried about her weight, she ate a little dry food last night but is still losing weight and looks scruffy. i suppose it will take time for her to start regaining weight and get over what ever it is she has. this is worse than having children. ;)

she has to go back to vets anyway and if no better gonna give her a pain killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back