Baby to adult baor bonding

G.pigmc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently got a baby boar to bond with my adult single boar. I bonded then in a neutral area and all seemed to go well so I moved them into their enclosure. They have 2x6 cage and 2 of food/watwr /hay soruces and only open ended hides to try and prevent competition. However recently they have started to fight and there has been some bites. However after watching them it seems to be the case that if the baby gets scared by us walking past the cage he freaks out and runs around. This is when the fights seem to occur. In many of the case he ends up running towards the adult boar and having a face off. When things are quite there is just some simple rumbling but they will lay happily beside each other.

My question is will things be okay or should I separate. I know the general rule is when blood is drawn pigs should be separated but unsure if things will settle in this case?

I’m sorry your post has been missed.

How have they been since you made this post?
How long have they been together?

I’m sorry your post has been missed.

How have they been since you made this post?
How long have they been together?
I have had the older baor for 3 months and the baby for a 1week. I would have ideally did a 2 week quarantine but was recommend to bond immediately as he would be too young to be on his own.

The baby pig is currently on antibiotics for the bite he sustained but is doing well.

They are currently separated as I divided the cage until i got some further informarion and could treat the in jurty. They currently only have 2x3 space each so woudlnt be suitbale long term. While divided They can still communicate and interact. The baby will sometimes chew the bars of the divider but the older pig doesn't take much notice of him apart from the odd rumble strutting. I don't see any aggressive behaviour.

I would love to be able to try and re bond them once the baby is used to us and isn't running scared around the cage but just don't know if that's a possibility since they have already had a blood drawn fight

I’ve bonded babies with older boars three times and the baby does run to the older one for reassurance when they are scared. But I’ve never had the older one bite the baby. I’m thinking he doesn’t like him and probably won’t change his mind. Sorry.

I have had the older baor for 3 months and the baby for a 1week. I would have ideally did a 2 week quarantine but was recommend to bond immediately as he would be too young to be on his own.

The baby pig is currently on antibiotics for the bite he sustained but is doing well.

They are currently separated as I divided the cage until i got some further informarion and could treat the in jurty. They currently only have 2x3 space each so woudlnt be suitbale long term. While divided They can still communicate and interact. The baby will sometimes chew the bars of the divider but the older pig doesn't take much notice of him apart from the odd rumble strutting. I don't see any aggressive behaviour.

I would love to be able to try and re bond them once the baby is used to us and isn't running scared around the cage but just don't know if that's a possibility since they have already had a blood drawn fight

Yes it’s correct that a baby can’t be quarantined.

As they have had fights and injuries have been sustained then it would sadly not be wise to try again. There is likely an incompatibility and lack of mutual liking. Further fights would occur in that case

A 2x3 is fine for each piggy - it is minimum size - but if you can make it a 2x4 each then that would be better

Back