Baby pigs escaping!

lialooszoo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone so before I brought my baby guinea pigs home I had a big crate (play pen) for my guinea pigs Bibble & Bumble. The play pen is too big for the babies as the little rascals slide through the bars and escape every time! Bibble & Bumble were obviously too big to slide through the bars and run away so it was never a problem lol. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to stop the babies from escaping! I first put cardboard around it and it worked but it’s only temporary as it’s a foldable crate. Advise would be very much appreciated, thank you! 55F688BF-FB6B-49A5-8F1F-A8BBDA340B94.webpD9C9278A-A32B-45DB-9D8D-4EC7C74FAEB5.webp

They are gorgeous little rascals. You could try pegging a sheet up the sides? Good luck.

I was going to say cardboard or proplex (floor protection sheets) sold in home hardware shops like homebase, wickes etc. It's called floor protection. You could make a tray from it and raise the sides. To stop escapes.

That photo made me laugh. The cute little piggies seem way smaller than the space between the bars. There are guides on here for cage requirements etc which might help. I buy plastic correx sheets on amazon from the-aluminium-shop, good seller. If I need 4mm width I just double up their 2mm.

Can only echo the above advice, but just wanted to say what gorgeous piggies 😍😍

Places like B&M and Pound Land often sell cheap cake cooling racks, which can be cable tied around the existing grids to make the holes baby proof.

I was going to say cardboard or proplex (floor protection sheets) sold in home hardware shops like homebase, wickes etc. It's called floor protection. You could make a tray from it and raise the sides. To stop escapes.
Good idea, thank you for your advise I will have a look tomorrow when I have time! X

That photo made me laugh. The cute little piggies seem way smaller than the space between the bars. There are guides on here for cage requirements etc which might help. I buy plastic correx sheets on amazon from the-aluminium-shop, good seller. If I need 4mm width I just double up their 2mm.
Glad they made you laugh! 🥰 Thank you for your advise I will have a look! X

Places like B&M and Pound Land often sell cheap cake cooling racks, which can be cable tied around the existing grids to make the holes baby proof.
Oh okay this is another great idea thank you I will definitely have a look! X

Gorgeous babies! 🥰 We had them same issues when some of our pigs were younger. It was then I realised that I needed to change a lot of our C&C cage to panels that had much smaller gaps 😂 Otherwise they would have been getting in to other cages and ganging up on my poor older boars. Now I have replaced all of our C&C to the smallest possible to be sure.
As for play pens (not sure if you use one of those), i find the pop up tent style ones that are fully enclosed are the best

Gorgeous babies! 🥰 We had them same issues when some of our pigs were younger. It was then I realised that I needed to change a lot of our C&C cage to panels that had much smaller gaps 😂 Otherwise they would have been getting in to other cages and ganging up on my poor older boars. Now I have replaced all of our C&C to the smallest possible to be sure.
As for play pens (not sure if you use one of those), i find the pop up tent style ones that are fully enclosed are the best
Thank you for your help! 🥰

Back