• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby piggy & sneezing

Alvinsfam

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just to start, I’ve lost 3 of my babies over the past year. I have always been hypervigilant when it comes to my GP care, but as I’m sure you can imagine, just a bit more anxious since the rough year we’ve had. I’m extremely blessed to have an amazing exotic vet and have always received feedback that we provide great care for our babies- unfortunately, sometimes we can’t control nature’s course.

With that being said, we recently were left with one remaining male piggy and decided it would be best to get him a female friend (our male is neutered just for context).

So far, we have them separated while they are getting to know each other and adjusting to each other; however, it is going great (yay! ☺️).

We also took her (Daisy is her name) for her first vet visit Friday and our vet said everything looked great.

She is beyond playful, starting to trust us more day by day, eating great, very talkative, etc.

The only thing I’m noticing is that she will occasionally sneeze. It’s not frequently (I’m monitoring as much as I can).

I know none of us have a crystal ball unfortunately, but this brings me back to one of my piggies I lost this year who was also a sneezy baby. Granted, he did sneeze more frequently than she seems to. He developed chronic respiratory illness that he eventually succumbed to.

I guess I’m just wondering what is normal when it comes to sneezing and what isn’t? I wish I could just relax and enjoy our sweet new addition, but I’m so worried that something could be developing and even more worried it could be passed to my other GP. I could not forgive myself if I missed a sign and he ended up ill.

Sorry for the long post! This is really the only place I’ve found where others understand these feelings or have experienced similar things. I can’t express my gratitude enough for this community 🩷

Did the vet listen to her breathing at the check up? If so the sneezing is probably ok.

When I first got Patrick he would sneeze quite a lot. He did it when he was cross/scared. When I was trying to catch him or touch him. He doesn’t do it now. Good luck with the bonding 🤞🏻

I’m sorry for your losses.

An occasional sneeze from a piggy in a new environment, getting used to new bedding , hay etc is ok. Respiratory infections generally do not start with sneezing. Sneezing generally is irritation in the nose or occurs once a bacterial infection is advanced (untreated or under treated)
But you are right, we can’t know for sure so we would recommend monitoring and seeing a vet if you are more concerned about her.

The only other thing I wanted to pick up on - you say she is a baby and that they are not yet bonded. Babies under four months of age do need to be bonded straight away as they require the companionship and guidance at all times

One of my boys used to sneeze frequently when I used disposable bedding. As soon as I switched to fleece it stopped.

Thank you all for your responses!

I should have mentioned that we do use fleece liners :) and we do have an air purifier by their cage to minimize as much dust or irritants as possible. We don’t use anything scented to wash their bedding or have any type of scented wall plug ins either.

The vet looked over everything at her check up (teeth, lungs, heart, etc.)

We are planning to officially put them together tonight (part of that was also needing to secure our cage, as they basically have the entire dining room lol. They have a grate style cage and she is so tiny we are putting plexiglass on the outside so she can’t squirm through if she would decide to get curious)

I will continue to monitor, I know a big part of this is my nerves and just hoping she will be a healthy, happy girl 🩷

Back