Baby male piggie

Ame

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, we have recused a 5 week old baby male and are looking to bond him with our 5 month old male. We currently have their cages next to each other and my older piggy is squeaking so much and trying to look into see the other one. We were advised to introduce them in a neutral space, I did do this before and unsure what the signs are.

The older piggy wars chasing him around and sniffing as well was some humping. He was making a rumbling/purring noise I assume to assert dominance but no other signs of aggression. I only left them together for 30 or so minutes as I didn’t want to stress either of them out.

What do you recommend? Should we keep them separated and for how long?
Is it okay for the baby to be on its own whilst the baby quarantines?
Also is that normal behaviour when meeting as I have found very conflicting information on the Internet?

Any advice would be amazing thank you!

A young baby’s need for companionship trumps the need for quarantining. Each time you introduce and separate them you create the need for a new assertion of dominance. I would strongly recommend that you read the guides I will link for you.

Then, set up a neutral area. Only start the bonding when you are able to see it through to conclusion. Please don’t separate and reintroduce. It doesn’t sound from your comments that the bonding will fail. When you are satisfied they will live together only then do you move them to a fully cleaned cage with all houses having 2 exits so that no one can get trapped.

Here is the link to the section with all the guides in Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

In particular please read the following:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

:agr:
You cannot quarantine such a young piggy and need to bond them straight away, please don’t keep them separated at all.
Please do as above, and put them together on neutral territory for a few hours, and then move them to a thoroughly cleaned out cage after a few hours on neutral territory. As long as the bonding is a success, do not separate them again. Separating them and then reintroducing repeatedly is what causes the stress.

Sniffing, chasing, mounting, rumbling are all very normal behaviours. You will see a lot of it over the coming months.

Also make sure the cage they are to live in is big enough, ideally 180x60cm for a boar pair as need a lot more room

A young baby’s need for companionship trumps the need for quarantining. Each time you introduce and separate them you create the need for a new assertion of dominance. I would strongly recommend that you read the guides I will link for you.

Then, set up a neutral area. Only start the bonding when you are able to see it through to conclusion. Please don’t separate and reintroduce. It doesn’t sound from your comments that the bonding will fail. When you are satisfied they will live together only then do you move them to a fully cleaned cage with all houses having 2 exits so that no one can get trapped.

Here is the link to the section with all the guides in Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

In particular please read the following:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Thanks so much for the advice! Really needed it! Feel it can get so confusing looking online as everywhere seems to say different things.

They seem to be getting on really well, after a couple of hours in the pen they’re now in their proper home and seem really chilled. Have made sure to put two bottles, bowls and houses so they have options 🥰

Both piggies have been popcorning like mad and have even napped next to each other which is so lovely. Thanks again ☺️

:agr:
You cannot quarantine such a young piggy and need to bond them straight away, please don’t keep them separated at all.
Please do as above, and put them together on neutral territory for a few hours, and then move them to a thoroughly cleaned out cage after a few hours on neutral territory. As long as the bonding is a success, do not separate them again. Separating them and then reintroducing repeatedly is what causes the stress.

Sniffing, chasing, mounting, rumbling are all very normal behaviours. You will see a lot of it over the coming months.

Also make sure the cage they are to live in is big enough, ideally 180x60cm for a boar pair as need a lot more room
Thank you so much! They are getting on so well so fingers crossed they stay this way!

They are currently having a nap together after all the playing ☺️

I’m so happy for you! Try to make sure all hides have two exits. And also have two hay feeding areas. We’d love some photos to drool over if you want to post some.

We do love a successful bonding session and a happy pair of piggies makes for happy owners. Hope they continue to get on well together.

Back