• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby hairless and watery eye?

RheMae

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I recently got another guinea pig despite not being fully ready, because my other guinea pig Bert needed a companion.
They're doing super well together, luckily.
His name is Will, and he's a hairless breed, with only hair on his nose and paws. He's about a couple months old now at most, and I noticed he has been blinking his left eye. It's watering a lot as well.
Could this be the eyelash thing I had heard of possibly? I know he's young and this is typically when it shows.
His eyes are clear otherwise, breathing is clear, eating and wheeking and popcorning like crazy. I did notice a bit of white on his skin I believed could be fungus, but it's gone away and I gotta be honest, I can't find a ton of information on hairless breeds like I'd like to.

Any advice, I've never had a baby guinea before. Especially not a hairless breed.

I would think a haypoke injury is more likely. Please see a vet for diagnosis and treatment.

In terms of things like illnesses they are no different to hairy piggies. You should always see a vet if you suspect a fungal infection.
The difference with skinny pigs is that they have a faster metabolism than haired piggies so they need to be kept warmer, they eat more and poop more.

In terms of him being a baby, the diet etc is no different to an adult piggy - unlimited hay, one cup of veg, one tablespoon of pellets. Just ensure you introduce new veg slowly so as to not upset his digestion.

Do get his eye seen to though - eye issues are considered urgent.

Back