Baby Guineapig Dont Eat Dry Baits

dup1nz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I bought a baby guineapig male. He dont eating dry baits at his manger and just gnawing sawdusts. He eats lettuce but I dont want to give him too much lettuce because I dont want him to get a diarrhea. Also I'm not sure if he knows how to drink water from his tube. I'm worried for him because just as I say, he dont eating dry baits and just gnawing sawdusts. Help me please. What should I do?

:wel:

Hay is the most important part of their diet. He needs large piles of hay available to him at all times as it makes 80% of what they need to eat in a day. Does he have that?

They can have one cup of veg per pig per day but you do need to build up new veggies slowly.
Safe daily veggies are lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and cilantro.

Their pellets/nuggets are the least important part of the diet and they don’t actually need them at all provided they have a lot of hay and a good balance of veggies. They can have one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day.

This is our diet guide which will explain how to feed them.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

You need to weigh him once a week to ensure he is eating a good amount of hay.

Very importantly, do you have two piggies?
Piggies must never be kept by themselves and must be kept in pairs.
If he is by himself he is going to get lonely and be very scared.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
Companionship

:wel:

Hay is the most important part of their diet. He needs large piles of hay available to him at all times as it makes 80% of what they need to eat in a day. Does he have that?

They can have one cup of veg per pig per day but you do need to build up new veggies slowly.
Safe daily veggies are lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and cilantro.

Their pellets/nuggets are the least important part of the diet and they don’t actually need them at all provided they have a lot of hay and a good balance of veggies. They can have one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day.

This is our diet guide which will explain how to feed them.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

You need to weigh him once a week to ensure he is eating a good amount of hay.

Very importantly, do you have two piggies?
Piggies must never be kept by themselves and must be kept in pairs.
If he is by himself he is going to get lonely and be very scared.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
Companionship
I have only one piggies. I wasn't able to afford a pair of them but I think I can care with him. I don't have any measurement tools to weigh him. And I dont think I have hay, but I think I can go and pick some grass from garden, this works right? I will check the threads you put there. Also, I almost give him a whole leaf of lettuce. Should I give him more?

I have only one piggies. I wasn't able to afford a pair of them but I think I can care with him. I don't have any measurement tools to weigh him. And I dont think I have hay, but I think I can go and pick some grass from garden, this works right? I will check the threads you put there. Also, I almost give him a whole leaf of lettuce. Should I give him more?

I’m afraid you need to have two piggies. Being by himself will not be a good life for him I’m sorry to say. Piggies simply cannot cope being by themselves and are wired to always be with another piggy. Any interaction you give him will not be enough as he cannot communicate with you. He will get lonely spending his life without another piggy.
Please do get another piggy.

Hay is their main food source. I know it’s not easy to get hold of in some countries. It’s very important he eats hay as it is essential to maintain good gut and dental health.
You can pick grass but it’s going to need to be absolutely loads - huge piles at least twice his body size need to be available to him at all times and he must never run out of it in his cage.
Also, you need to introduce fresh grass slowly as that can also cause tummy upsets. This is where it is an issue. Because he needs a lot of it but you need to introduce it slowly, he is at risk of not getting enough food for a period.

If you give too many baits as you call them, (pellets or nuggets here), then it can risk health issues occurring due to not enough fibre, too much calcium or abrasive hay to wear the teeth.
What are the ingredients of these items you are feeding?

This is the ingredients of biscuits. some seeds, little things, colorful things. I was worried about That he doesn't eating these but now I learned he needs to eat hays or grass. I will try to find hay, for now I will try introduce grass to him. Also I'm afraid I dont think I will be able to get another piggy. My family only allowed one, and as financial I'm not able to afford it rn. Thanks for your advices. I hope I can find hay.

Attachments

• 20240202_093023.webp
    20240202_093023.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 2
I’m afraid you need to have two piggies. Being by himself will not be a good life for him I’m sorry to say. Piggies simply cannot cope being by themselves and are wired to always be with another piggy. Any interaction you give him will not be enough as he cannot communicate with you. He will get lonely spending his life without another piggy.
Please do get another piggy.

Hay is their main food source. I know it’s not easy to get hold of in some countries. It’s very important he eats hay as it is essential to maintain good gut and dental health.
You can pick grass but it’s going to need to be absolutely loads - huge piles at least twice his body size need to be available to him at all times and he must never run out of it in his cage.
Also, you need to introduce fresh grass slowly as that can also cause tummy upsets. This is where it is an issue. Because he needs a lot of it but you need to introduce it slowly, he is at risk of not getting enough food for a period.

If you give too many baits as you call them, (pellets or nuggets here), then it can risk health issues occurring due to not enough fibre, too much calcium or abrasive hay to wear the teeth.
What are the ingredients of these items you are feeding?
also sorry to disturb again, can you send a pic of "hay"? I know it's meaning but it can mean something else here, like grass. You mean the literal hay? The cows eating ones?

This is the ingredients of biscuits. some seeds, little things, colorful things. I was worried about That he doesn't eating these but now I learned he needs to eat hays or grass. I will try to find hay, for now I will try introduce grass to him. Also I'm afraid I dont think I will be able to get another piggy. My family only allowed one, and as financial I'm not able to afford it rn. Thanks for your advices. I hope I can find hay.

I’m sorry to hear that. You need to be aware that he will transfer all his social needs onto you.
The guide below explains the responsibilities you are taking on by having a single piggy. You will need to watch for signs of loneliness. I’m afraid it is a serious issue as piggies should never be alone, particularly a baby.

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

That food is unsafe and should not be fed to him.
It doesn’t contain anything he needs and the seeds are a serious choking hazard and are a risk of breaking his teeth. Please remove it immediately from his cage and don’t give it to him again.

also sorry to disturb again, can you send a pic of "hay"? I know it's meaning but it can mean something else here, like grass. You mean the literal hay? The cows eating ones?

Yes, hay - long strands of dried grass.
The kind of thing that is fed to horses.

A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

That food is unsafe and should not be fed to him.
It doesn’t contain anything he needs and the seeds are a serious choking hazard and are a risk of breaking his teeth. Please remove it immediately from his cage and don’t give it to him again.
I can't believe that petshop sold me this. Now I'm more worried because this means my baby is hungry. I hope he can to get used to grass for now. I will try to get him hay immediately and I will fill his manger with it. I have to give him a lettuce for now because he didn't know what grass is yet and I dont want him to get tummy hurts.

Please do research the diet he needs by reading the diet guide I added.
It is essential he gets proper fibre for gut function and dental wear m.
Lettuce isn’t enough for him. Their one cup of veg is only 20% of the daily food intake whereas hay is 80%. Also do try to add in other veg as he needs a high vitamin c intake to prevent scurvy. Things like bell peppers and cilantro are high vit c

Lütfen eklediğim diyet rehberini okuyarak ihtiyacı olan diyeti araştırın.
Bağırsak fonksiyonu ve diş aşınması için uygun lifi alması çok önemlidir.
Marul ona yetmiyor. Bir fincan sebze günlük besin alımının yalnızca %20'sini oluştururken saman ise %80'ini oluşturur. Ayrıca iskorbüt hastalığını önlemek için yüksek C vitamini alımına ihtiyaç duyduğundan başka sebzeleri de eklemeye çalışın. Biber ve kişniş gibi şeyler yüksek C vitamini içerir
Yes, thank you. I got it. Lettuce is just a temporary solution for him to not stay hungry. Just as I say, I will try to get hay immediately. Also we got some pepper at home, and I will also try to find cilantro. When I Found hay, I will send a picture of it.

To add, please get a set of kitchen scales. Weighing him every week to ensure he is eating enough hay is so important and is part of routine care.
It’s the only way to know they are eating enough hay and weight loss can sometimes be the only sign of illness

To add, please get a set of kitchen scales. Weighing him every week to ensure he is eating enough hay is so important and is part of routine care.
It’s the only way to know they are eating enough hay and weight loss can sometimes be the only sign of illness
ok, I will try to get it. but probably rn I'm out of money. I'm buying him a full sack of hay.

Attachments

• 20240202_105655.webp
    20240202_105655.webp
    190.7 KB · Views: 3
hay is 80%
I'm home right now, I bought him hay, put it in his cage but he still didn't eat it. Just ate a few piece from my hand. He does eat lettuce but still doesn't eat hay even it he's hungry. He is going to eat it, right?

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry you have been given bad advice from wherever you got your piggy from.

Do you have a pet shop near you? They should have hay there. Hay is long strands of dried grass. Also they should have guinea pig food. Nuggets (not muesli).

Also some piggies drink from a bowl rather than a water bottle so you could try that too. How long have you had him? He may just need time to settle in.

Once he is settled and eating then he will definitely need a friend. You also need to check that he is in fact a male. He will need a same sex friend as you don’t want any babies.

Good luck.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry you have been given bad advice from wherever you got your piggy from.

Do you have a pet shop near you? They should have hay there. Hay is long strands of dried grass. Also they should have guinea pig food. Nuggets (not muesli).

Also some piggies drink from a bowl rather than a water bottle so you could try that too. How long have you had him? He may just need time to settle in.

Once he is settled and eating then he will definitely need a friend. You also need to check that he is in fact a male. He will need a same sex friend as you don’t want any babies.

Good luck.
I bought him yesterday. I also bought hay. everything is alright for now.

I'm home right now, I bought him hay, put it in his cage but he still didn't eat it. Just ate a few piece from my hand. He does eat lettuce but still doesn't eat hay even it he's hungry. He is going to eat it, right?

Not necessarily - he needs to learn but your issue is that they learn what to eat from each other, and if he has never been given hay he’s never been taught. Being alone now also means he still doesn’t have another piggy to teach him. This is another reason why they should always be kept in pairs.

He can’t live on just lettuce - it doesn’t contain the nutrition and fibre he needs

All you can do is leave it in his cage and hope he gets curious

Not necessarily - he needs to learn but your issue is that they learn what to eat from each other, and if he has never been given hay he’s never been taught. Being alone now also means he still doesn’t have another piggy to teach him. This is another reason why they should always be kept in pairs.

He can’t live on just lettuce - it doesn’t contain the nutrition and fibre he needs

All you can do is leave it in his cage and hope he gets curious
what would happen if he wasn't curious? I'm a little bit happy now because I saw him eating. I hope he also drinks water too. He was also have a water tube in his cage at petshop. Maybe I'm just so worried... it's just his second day here.

Do you have any fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, basil, dill or mint?
I'm thinking maybe if you mix some with the hay it might make it irresistible?
@Piggies&buns ?

what would happen if he wasn't curious? I'm a little bit happy now because I saw him eating. I hope he also drinks water too. He was also have a water tube in his cage at petshop. Maybe I'm just so worried... it's just his second day here.

If he hasn’t had it before then he may not know - He doesn’t have any piggy to teach him.
Without eating hay then there are several things - their gut needs hay to function and without it, they can suffer digestive problems. They also require the abrasive action of chewing hay to keep their teeth wearing. Hay and grass are the only things which wear the molars. Without sufficient wear, their teeth overgrow. This can eventually teap their tongue and mean they can’t eat anything. That then requires correct dental treatment to correct the issue

Do you have any fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, basil, dill or mint?
I'm thinking maybe if you mix some with the hay it might make it irresistible?
@Piggies&buns ?

Yes they certainly can be tried @dup1nz.
Just be careful you don’t feed too much parsley as it is high in calcium

Also to add, he is going to be very scared so he will need some time to settle in.

Does he have a big enough cage? It needs to measure a minimum of 120x60cm for a single piggy. If and when he can have a friend then the cage needs to be 180x60cm.
He also needs to have plenty to do in the cage. Some houses to hide in, some cardboard boxes with holes cut in work well. Cardboard tunnels are also fun for them.

Also to add, he is going to be very scared so he will need some time to settle in.

Does he have a big enough cage? It needs to measure a minimum of 120x60cm for a single piggy. If and when he can have a friend then the cage needs to be 180x60cm.
He also needs to have plenty to do in the cage. Some houses to hide in, some cardboard boxes with holes cut in work well. Cardboard tunnels are also fun for them.
his cage is 60×40. it looks like enough for him, Idk. but later maybe I can put a cardboard box in his cage.

his cage is 60×40. it looks like enough for him, Idk. but later maybe I can put a cardboard box in his cage.

If the measurement is in centimetres, then no it isnt anywhere near enough for him. The smallest cage a single piggy should be kept in is 120x60cm.
All piggies, even small youngsters, need a huge amount of space to be able to run around and carry out their normal behaviours. He is going to need a much bigger cage.

This guide explains the sizes of cages which are needed.

Cage Size Guide

Please do put plenty of things for him to do in the cage. He needs the enrichment and ability to hide. As a young baby with no companion, he is going to be terrified and not having anywhere to hide will make things much worse for him.

This guide explains how to keep him occupied, particularly as he doesnt have a friend, he is going to need a lot more entertainment than most piggies.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Back