• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby Guinea with extra toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind1

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, Have just been to see my new baby guinea pig which I am getting from a friend. She is only 6 days old and we noticed she has an extra toe on one back foot. It is hanging off the side of the foot. She doesn't seem bothered by it but was wondering whether it needs removing. I know g.pigs can have extra toes and there is a name for it but this is obviously of no use to her and I'm worried she could catch it on something.

The name is polydactyl. Consider youself unusual as it does happen but by no means frequently. Many pigs live very full and happy lives with an extra digit or two but some do have problems, they can get caught in cages or bedding, other pigs can pick on them and there have been cases of the piggy trying to bite it off and causing damage - these are rare - I don't mean to scare you. Can I suggest a trip to the Vet when you get her home? just really for some professional advice.

Many breeders used to kill their polydactyl babies shortly after birth (some piggy mummies do this anyway) :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Aw poor piggies, Niki's Huxley has an extra toe :) so you could pm her and ask about it? It doesnt stop Huxley being the most gorgeous piggie everrr though! I'm sure the baby can live a normal life with an extra toe, some even dry up and fall off over time apparently x

Its a throwback from inbreeding, the baby can live a normal life with the extra toe, just dont breed from her :) O0

FYI Anne Boleyn apparently had an extra little finger on both her hands (all pictures of her show her wearing dainty little gloves) so tell your little piggy she's related to royalty! ;D

my meeka has an extra toe, she is 1 years old and has never had any problems due to it :)

Bless, it's like us you know. My Dad's side of the family have web feet (I have them too but can't swim!) >:D However, my cousin's daughter was born with extra digits, they fell off soon after birth. Isn't that the case with extra digit guinea pigs. And how cool is digit for a name! :D

:)

one of my peru sows has extra toes on both her back feet, she doesn't seem bothered by them.

Toffee4ever said:
I had a piggie with an extra toe and it never bothered him.
Same here never caused a problem ,she lived until she was nearly 8yrs old too! :)

jnenbnb said:
Aw poor piggies, Niki's Huxley has an extra toe :) so you could pm her and ask about it? It doesnt stop Huxley being the most gorgeous piggie everrr though! I'm sure the baby can live a normal life with an extra toe, some even dry up and fall off over time apparently x

He certainly does, it's attached by a small bit of skin & doesn't bother him in the slightest. It does make clipping the nail on that toe a bit trickier for me tho' :)

Thankyou for your replies. We'll leave it alone then and see how she gets on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back