Baby Guinea Pigs Weight Gain Difference Between Sisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollsterM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have two new piggies who are now eleven weeks old. On Friday they got weighed for the first time by us. One is 490 g but the other is 390g. They were different sizes when we got them but is it normal to have that much of a difference? We do have another piggy but he is four and is a health 1200g and I can't remember that far back as to his weight when younger. However, he was a rescue piggy and got him at 6 months old. Any advice?

Weights can differ enormously. As long as your two are growing well, there is nothing for you to worry about. They have got a long way to go until they reach adulthood; that leaves enough time to realise their individual genetically determined ideal body weight and size, which can vary a lot in guinea pigs. Don't be tempted to overfeed! A good general diet will do the trick. Please weigh your piggies once weekly, preferably at the same time during the feeding cycle.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

I have currently got three litter sisters as fosters where the weight difference between the largest and the smallest is over 150g. All are three doing fine and are growing well. ;)
Before that, I a pair of sisters where the adult weight difference was over 300g in their peak. By the way, it was the smaller and much more energetic of the sisters that was the group leader, not her much bigger sister who has never wasted a calorie in her life that she could hang onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back