Baby Guinea pigs and adult pigs

tyler4

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I had NO idea what to post this thread in, all i saw was baby care.
Anyways, I have two adult male guinea pigs, and I’m planning on getting a baby male guinea pig soon. I don’t know how to introduce them, or anything like that. My boys can be very territorial when it comes to new pigs (i had a friend bring her pigs over to introduce them, didn’t go too well…) . And I’m not sure what I’ll do. Help?

More than two boars together can be challenging at best. People do have boar trios, but they're uncommon. In general boars do best with one other boar OR one or more sow IF only one gender is intact (either the boar needs to be neutered or the sow(s) spayed for mixed gender herds). Introducing a third boar to your pair could result in a breakdown of your current pair's bond either at introduction or when the baby becomes a hormonal teenager. You will definitely need to be prepared for two side by side cages long term with three boars ... or worst case three separate cages if the introduction unsettles the current bond and a stable pairing cannot be worked out amongst the three.

I recommend reading through topics in the behavior and bonding section for more advice on introducing piggies to one another.

Oh, I forgot to say, any introductions between guinea pigs needs to be done on neutral ground, so not in a space that any of the pigs views as their own territory that the other pig(s) are intruding upon. Also, and introduction will be followed by a trial period during which you will need to keep an extra eye on them to make sure the piggies are getting on. Bonds are usually deemed stable a week or two in without incident. The dominance assertion and submissive complaints can look pretty dramatic ... extreme bullying or fighting and biting are signs of a failed bond. When a young piggy starts getting hormonal, that can also test existing bonds ... just like any teenage relationship.

:wel:

Please reconsider and don’t add a third boar to a bonded pair, not even a baby - boar trios (or more) are a recipe for disaster.
Boars only really work in pairs and we never recommend boar trios due to the fact the chances of it working are very low (fights and separated/single piggies being the outcome). It’s one of the most common failed bondings we are contacted about - boars don’t like to live in trios and a bonded pair of boars dont usually welcome a third piggy being added. They fail due to the fact getting character compatibility amongst a boar trio is very difficult to achieve for the long term.
Boars are territorial anyway which is why they need a large cage (a pair need a 180x60cm cage).

If you try to add a third, you will need to be prepared to have multiple cages and separate the piggies again probably sooner rather than later.
Either the baby will be outright rejected by your original pair (even if you introduce correctly on neutral territory following the correct procedure); Or, he will initially be accepted but once he gets to his teens, the trio will start to break down due to dominance issues and then they will need to be separated.
Not only is the baby not likely to be accepted, either immediately or a little down the line, but attempting it can also break the bond between your original pair, and then you will have three single piggies, three separate cages and all of them refusing to live together again

Aside from the character compatibility issues, space is another factor. The cage sizing for a boar trio far exceeds any normal cage sizing requirements due to boars being more territorial. Any cage would need to cover larger than three square metres/36 square feet - so be bigger than 3 metres by 1 metre. Even then that amount of space would not guarantee a trio to work (character being the vital component) but anything less than that would cause space related fall outs.

If you wish to have more piggies, then you will need to get another separate pair of boars and they need to live a separate cage.

Please don’t allow your friend to bring her pigs over and put them with yours also. These kinds of playdates are not recommended and don’t work. They cause stress to the piggies involved as they go into full bonding mode and try to establish a relationship between them all (Which, assuming your friends piggies are both boars, would never work anyway). Doing so can risk the relationships bonds between the two pairs - both you and your friend could have found your own piggies falling out

When you have a stable boar pair, enjoy them how they are and don’t do anything to rock the boat!

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Last edited:
There are some stickies at the top of the page that talk about the how-tos of bonding (meeting on neutral territory, what signs to look for when it comes to introductions going well or poorly, etc.) That said, you have two bonded boys and boar trios/groups are notoriously likely to fail... you really run the risk of introducing a new boy, having a huge brawl, and ending up with three pigs who refuse to be together again, including your original bonded pair. Honestly, you are better off keeping your original pair as a duo. If you want another piggie, maybe consider another pair who will be completely separate (even at play time) to your original pair.

Hello, I had NO idea what to post this thread in, all i saw was baby care.
Anyways, I have two adult male guinea pigs, and I’m planning on getting a baby male guinea pig soon. I don’t know how to introduce them, or anything like that. My boys can be very territorial when it comes to new pigs (i had a friend bring her pigs over to introduce them, didn’t go too well…) . And I’m not sure what I’ll do. Help?
alright its been a couple months since I last showed on this forum, I did not get another pig! And my boys are doing well.

Back