Baby Guinea pig

Lindsay Cox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m getting a baby Guinea pig tomorrow and I remembered I didn’t have alfalfa hay or alfalfa based pellets. My question is will he be ok on Timothy bay and Timothy pellets for a couple days until I can get him some

Yes, he'll be fine. They don't need alfalfa at all really, especially if the rest of their diet is nutritionally appropriate (80+% hay, some fresh veg and/or forage and a little nuggets).
Will he be joining an older companion after you get him?

Yes, he'll be fine. They don't need alfalfa at all really, especially if the rest of their diet is nutritionally appropriate (80+% hay, some fresh veg and/or forage and a little nuggets).
Will he be joining an older companion after you get him?
Yeah he will but it’ll be a week or two. I’m getting him for another one of my pigs who lost his cage mate.

Piggies (even babies over three weeks of age) don’t need alfalfa at all, so don’t worry about getting any.
A normal Timothy based adult diet is also what a baby needs.

Can I ask why it’ll be a week or two before you bond them? Baby piggies (piggies under four months of age) must not be alone and need to be bonded with another piggy straight away.

Yeah he will but it’ll be a week or two. I’m getting him for another one of my pigs who lost his cage mate.
That's good. I ask because babies learn from the older piggies around them what to eat, so it makes it easier to get them to eat a good variety of veg if they have somepig to copy.

Can’t wait to see pictures of your new baby 😍

Back