• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Babs is slipping away

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed on Wednesday evening that Babs seemed a bit withdrawn and wasn't interested in being with the other pigs. Then yesterday she took a turn for the worse - she could hardly move about and had quite laboured breathing. Also, she refused food (which is unheard of) and generally just wanted to rest in her log cabin. I gave her some critical care formula but she just couldn't take it down. I really didn't expect her to make it through the night.

Anyway, she did but was all floppy this morning. I phoned my vet and he was quite sure (given her history of bladder stones etc and various operations) that she was going through organ failure. He said she should die peacefully at somepoint today but if she was in pain to go and get veterinary intervention.

Well, she is still lying under my pillow and can barely lift her head. What do I do? Just let things take their course? God, this is awful. My poor Babs has been such a tough piggie and now the end is being so drawn out. I can't bear to see her like this.

I'm so sorry to read your post. I have watched two of my piggies die now and it is an awful thing to have to go through. If you can't see that she is in any obvious pain, I would keep her with you. Make sure that she is warm and stay with her, talk to her so she can hear your voice and tell her you love her and stroke her. Babs will feel she is loved and will go to the bridge at peace.

I had to do this only last week when my pig Max died. It was incredibly hard so I really do feel for you. I was so upset when he was leaving me, as odd as it sounds I found it easier to sing softly to him....he could still hear my voice and it gave me something to focus on so I didn't get too upset (I didn't want to distress him by crying).

Don't know if this helps you at all to read this http://web.onetel.net.uk/~petergurney/d.html#_DYING

Thinking of you at this sad time.

Thank you so much - that was really helpful to read that cos I really don't know what to expect. She has twitched a few times which looks rather distressing but at least now I know what will happen. It's just so sad. Poor Babs

No worries, I really do understand how you are feeling - you aren't alone. Keep posting or pm me if you need to.

We have already spoken Alex so I just wanted to add that I am still thinking of you and Babs on this very sad day.

x

So sorry to read your post, I can also relate to the dilemma you face, that article of Peter Gurney's that EmilyJ posted helped us understand why our Scampy did what he did in his final moments. I just wished we had known about it before he died, we wouldn't have let the vet take him off to try and keep him alive :'(

It's so difficult to know what to do when you suspect the worst, especially when you feel like falling to peices with worry yourself. Will be thinking of you.

i'm so sorry to hear this. :'( :'( :'( *big hugs, kisses and caring thoughts to you and Babs* :'( :'( :-* :-* :-* :-* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

:'( :'( :'( very sad to hear about Babs. Just read emily's link :'( .

Its so difficult for me to know what to say... apart from - I'm thinking of you and Babs.
My piggies send their love too...

I'm so sorry to hear this too :'( It was only 3 weeks ago i was going through this with Clover, it's hell on earth trying to decide what to do. :(

I hope the end comes quickly and quietly.. she's going to have lots of piggy friends waiting for her : )

Thinking of you :'( :smitten:

how is the little sweetie today? any news/recovery? :-\ :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :-* :-* fingers crossed, my thoughts, and big hugs and kisses are with you and babs from me and my piggies. :-* :-* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: i would say what emilyj said just stay with her and stroke and talk to her and she will know that she is loved a lot and that her mummy is with her and she'll slip peacefully away. :smitten:

Hi

Thank you so much for the kind messages of support. Babs passed away on Friday evening. I had spent all day with her, stroking and talking to her but I very much got the impression that she just wanted to be quiet on her own as she kept trying to hide under my pillow. As I had to go out in the evening, I made her comfortable with some towels and blankets and said goodbye. I think I knew she would not be there when I got back. Indeed, at about 7.30pm my housemate phoned to say she had gone. When I saw Babs she looked extremely peaceful.

A friend of mine offered to let me bury Babs in her parents' garden in Cheshire. I took her over on Saturday and buried her in a peaceful spot by a stream. The sun was shining directly on that spot we'd chosen and it seemed so tranquil. I very much like to think that Babs will be looked after by my friend Anna who died last November. She loved guinea pigs and rabbits and I'm sure she'll be looking out for Babs.

It seems strange not having her around anymore. Boris, in particular, seems quite lost as Babs was the matriarch of the group and used to keep him in line!

awww... bet she loves her resting place... sounds lovely. :'( Dont worry... I'm sure Anna is taking good care of her.

RIP little Babs... sweet dreams :-*

I'm so sorry :'(
Her passing sounded peaceful and her resting place lovely and tranquil. RIP little Babs 0:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back