Babies

Penelopes mummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just to clarify when introducing babies to adults Do you still need to keep them in a separate Cage initially and then introduce them in a neutral area?

If so how do you go about introducing a large amount of guinea pigs? I may be introducing a couple of babies to 3 adults, all-female. With my most recent bonding 2 new females being bonded with my current female I popped them in the bath which worked out well but I’m not quite sure how I would fit all five guinea pigs in the bath! I don’t have anywhere!

As they are a pair, then depending where you are getting them from, they should be quarantined ideally in a separate room for two weeks for introducing.
Single piggies under four months of age cannot be quarantined or kept separate due to their extreme social needs.

You need to bond them in neutral territory (all bonding must be done in neutral territory) adding the most dominant piggy first and then going down the ranks. The bonding area needs to be big enough for all five of them - that being 16 square feet or larger

Could you use your bathroom to bond them rather than the bath? When I bonded my female and male to a new female pair, I used my mum and dads kitchen as Elizabeth is rather dominant so I wanted somewhere none of them had ever been

Just to clarify when introducing babies to adults Do you still need to keep them in a separate Cage initially and then introduce them in a neutral area?

If so how do you go about introducing a large amount of guinea pigs? I may be introducing a couple of babies to 3 adults, all-female. With my most recent bonding 2 new females being bonded with my current female I popped them in the bath which worked out well but I’m not quite sure how I would fit all five guinea pigs in the bath! I don’t have anywhere!

Hi

Do you have a lawn run that you could put up indoors temporarily? Otherwise the bathtub may still have to do for intros.
It shouldn't take too long as the babies cannot overset the existing hierarchy and their addition means a boost in status for the older sows. All they want is to belong at that age. In this case, you shouldn't have work to more than past acceptance and then use the cage area but without any furnishings at first. Please also don't use any houses with just one exit for the first two weeks until the group is fully settled in its new formation and in its territory.

Babies are very agile so they won't come to any harm as long as they get out of the way. But you have to prace yourself for some rather vocal drama and submission screaming; especially between the lowest ranked sow and the highest ranked baby.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All the best!

As they are a pair, then depending where you are getting them from, they should be quarantined ideally in a separate room for two weeks for introducing.
Single piggies under four months of age cannot be quarantined or kept separate due to their extreme social needs.

You need to bond them in neutral territory (all bonding must be done in neutral territory) adding the most dominant piggy first and then going down the ranks. The bonding area needs to be big enough for all five of them - that being 16 square feet or larger
If I do decide to have them they will be coming from a farm where I volunteer.

I wouldn’t normally get babies I would normally go to the rescue.

When I got my own most recent two only at the beginning of the year to bond with my existing one (due to a death) they’re in separate cages but in the same room for a week before I introduced them in the bath and it worked out lovely.

How old are the babies? I think as they’re in pairs you can quarantine before bonding. Although they do well with adult guidance.

When bonding you do need to put them in a neutral area. I’ll link to bonding guide below and also tag @Piggies&buns @Swissgreys @Wiebke

I hope it goes well! That will be lovely to have a herd of 5!
Also with my last two I did not quarantine because they had come from a rescue and these ones I know where they are coming from and that they are not sick or carrying anything so there shouldn’t be any need for quarantine in a completely separate room should there

We give the advice that piggies from anywhere other than a reputable rescue should be quarantined before for two weeks, ideally in a different room, before introducing to already resident piggies.
A reputable rescue would quarantine and vet check before rehoming, which is why there is not need to do so yourself when using a good welfare standard rescue.

Of course you are free to choose whether to quarantine or not.

We give the advice that piggies from anywhere other than a reputable rescue should be quarantined before for two weeks, ideally in a different room, before introducing to already resident piggies.
A reputable rescue would quarantine and vet check before rehoming, which is why there is not need to do so yourself when using a good welfare standard rescue.

Of course you are free to choose whether to quarantine or not.
The rescue I got my last 2 from earlier this year were from an independent rescue but they were living in a group and she didn’t say anything about vet checks.

The farm I’m getting them from I volunteer at every week and would be told if any of the piggies were ill plus I’m not having them for another 4 weeks So just thought they would be ok but I’d hate for my piggies to get ill. It’s going to be difficult to find another space in a different room though.

Hi

Do you have a lawn run that you could put up indoors temporarily? Otherwise the bathtub may still have to do for intros.
It shouldn't take too long as the babies cannot overset the existing hierarchy and their addition means a boost in status for the older sows. All they want is to belong at that age. In this case, you shouldn't have work to more than past acceptance and then use the cage area but without any furnishings at first. Please also don't use any houses with just one exit for the first two weeks until the group is fully settled in its new formation and in its territory.

Babies are very agile so they won't come to any harm as long as they get out of the way. But you have to prace yourself for some rather vocal drama and submission screaming; especially between the lowest ranked sow and the highest ranked baby.

All the best!
Thanks. I guess I can use the actual bathroom floor! I did look at that Bonding info. Thankyou

Could you use your bathroom to bond them rather than the bath? When I bonded my female and male to a new female pair, I used my mum and dads kitchen as Elizabeth is rather dominant so I wanted somewhere none of them had ever been
I think I’ll have too!

How old are the babies? I think as they’re in pairs you can quarantine before bonding. Although they do well with adult guidance.

When bonding you do need to put them in a neutral area. I’ll link to bonding guide below and also tag @Piggies&buns @Swissgreys @Wiebke

I hope it goes well! That will be lovely to have a herd of 5!
One piggie will be 7 weeks and one 6 when I get them. I have another 4 weeks to wait! Luckily I volunteer at the farm where they are so I can see them!

The most I’ve had is 3 so 5 is daunting! My 3 poo everywhere, so messy!

I would quarantine them, even if you see them and know where they come from. Please also double check the sex before you bring them home or introduce them. If you haven’t already 😁

Back