Babies Outside?

Little Pumpkin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently looking at rehoming a pair of piggies. Originally, I wanted adult piggies so searched rescues and various pet sites (gumtree, preloved, pets4homes etc) but hasn't been productive. The local rescue has a long waiting list and all these other sites have babies and no adults.
I went to P@H earlier for food and spoke to a staff member who told me they wouldn't be comfortable selling their 8 week old babies to an outdoor hutch in winter (understandable!) Not that I would buy from there anyway of course.. But my question is, what age could I go for? It's a secure hutch hidden in a comfortable, no draft corner with a waterproof fitted cover. I have a few options regarding babies but I do not want to risk them if I cannot keep them outside right now.
I have fluffy nests and straw bedding, I am also looking at heated mats.

You guys know so much more than me. Please, let me know your advice!

you can’t put any piggies outside at this time of year if they have up until this point, been kept indoors. The temperature fluctuation is far too great. All previously indoor piggies need to be kept indoors until next spring - regardless of their age. Most piggies who spend summer outside were brought indoors months ago due to the cold. Piggies need to be kept between 18-20 degrees and anything below 15 degrees is too cold for them.

please don’t use straw at all - it’s too sharp for piggies. Hay is used for bedding and eating for piggies
what do you mean by fluffy nests?

you would also need thermal hutch covers (not just waterproof), but as I say, it’s far too late to put any piggies outside now.

mine do live outside, but they were put out in July of the year I got them so had time to adjust to colder temperatures for many months. They also live in a shed so are protected from the elements. Even in their shed It takes a lot of work to keep them warm. I go through multiple kilos of hay each week to keep them warm, their hutch within the shed is covered with a thermal hutch cover, three blankets, and an old duvet. They have four snugglesafes between the two of them. I also always have a plan to bring them back indoors if I cant keep them above 12 degrees at all times

Last edited:
My piggies are indoor piggies all year round so I can't really help but I'm not sure that any piggies should be outdoors when it's this cold.

The dog in your profile pic is super cute is he yours? What's his name?

Hi. I personally don't think it's as much the age but the fact they'll be going from indoors to outdoors before being accustomed to the cold. I usually wait until night temps hold above 10/15 for a while before moving anyone into piggie shed. It allows you to find ways to keep them warm and you'll get an idea of how the temperature holds inside the accommodation compared to outside.

You can get snugglesafe from zooplus at fraction the price of petstore. You would need much more than snugglesafe and piles of hay to see them through. I suggest placing thermometer outside and you'll be shocked how cold it is, even in draught-proof hutches.

I am actually pleasently surprised by P&H not wanting to sell to outdoors at this time of the year! Must be first good thing I've heard in a while!

My piggies are indoor piggies all year round so I can't really help but I'm not sure that any piggies should be outdoors when it's this cold.

The dog in your profile pic is super cute is he yours? What's his name?
Yes, She's called Mila.

you can’t put any piggies outside at this time of year if they have up until this point, been kept indoors. The temperature fluctuation is far too great. All previously indoor piggies need to be kept indoors until next spring - regardless of their age. Most piggies who spend summer outside were brought indoors months ago due to the cold. Piggies need to be kept between 18-20 degrees and anything below 15 degrees is too cold for them.

please don’t use straw at all - it’s too sharp for piggies. Hay is used for bedding and eating for piggies
what do you mean by fluffy nests?

you would also need thermal hutch covers (not just waterproof), but as I say, it’s far too late to put any piggies outside now.
Thank you for your response, Pigs&Buns. I won't get any piggies until later in the year in that case.

This is what I mean by fluffy nest:
Rosewood Two-Way Hooded Bed for Small Animals | Free UK Delivery

I can take the straw back and get hay, don't worry! More time to prepare.

It's the wrong time of year to put piggies that are used to being inside outside. They will find it far too cold and it could make them very ill. If you have no option to keep them outside, better to get them in the spring when the weather overnight is 15 degrees C or more. They can then acclimatise to the colder weather as the evenings draw in in August as this stimulates the insulating winter fur to grow. Saying that if you keep them outside all winter they will still need loads of hay (NOT straw), snugglies to keep them warm, snugglesafe heat pads, an insulating cover as well as a thermal cover on the hutch. You need to think of everything you can to keep them as warm as possible as the temperatures plummet!

Yes, She's called Mila.

Thank you for your response, Pigs&Buns. I won't get any piggies until later in the year in that case.

This is what I mean by fluffy nest:
Rosewood Two-Way Hooded Bed for Small Animals | Free UK Delivery

I can take the straw back and get hay, don't worry! More time to prepare.

that type of bed is risky/won’t work for a couple of reasons -

1 - and this is a piggy dependent thing - but mine had one of those and absolutely hated it, flatly refused to use it.
2 - you can’t use any fabric bedding items outside as it simply won’t dry during cold wet nights (and days for that matter). You need wooden items for outdoor piggies. I cover my wooden hides with fleece blankets, But mine aren’t directly outside so I don’t have the quite same problems with moisture as directly outdoor hutches can have

Hi. I personally don't think it's as much the age but the fact they'll be going from indoors to outdoors before being accustomed to the cold. I usually wait until night temps hold above 10/15 for a while before moving anyone into piggie shed. It allows you to find ways to keep them warm and you'll get an idea of how the temperature holds inside the accommodation compared to outside.

You can get snugglesafe from zooplus at fraction the price of petstore. You would need much more than snugglesafe and piles of hay to see them through. I suggest placing thermometer outside and you'll be shocked how cold it is, even in draught-proof hutches.

I am actually pleasently surprised by P&H not wanting to sell to outdoors at this time of the year! Must be first good thing I've heard in a while!
P@H lady was wonderful, I was thoroughly impressed. She really cared about the guinea pigs there.
I will wait a few months and see what's about there.

You can't use anything like fleece during winter. It would stay wet and thereby make them cold. Please do contact rescues closer to the time you are looking.

that type of bed is risky/won’t work for a couple of reasons -

1 - and this is a piggy dependent thing - but mine had one of those and absolutely hated it, flatly refused to use it.
2 - you can’t use any fabric bedding items outside as it simply won’t dry during cold wet nights (and days for that matter). You need wooden items for outdoor piggies.
Ah, well at least I have time to learn and adapt! :D

It's the wrong time of year to put piggies that are used to being inside outside. They will find it far too cold and it could make them very ill. If you have no option to keep them outside, better to get them in the spring when the weather overnight is 15 degrees C or more. They can then acclimatise to the colder weather as the evenings draw in in August as this stimulates the insulating winter fur to grow. Saying that if you keep them outside all winter they will still need loads of hay (NOT straw), snugglies to keep them warm, snugglesafe heat pads, an insulating cover as well as a thermal cover on the hutch. You need to think of everything you can to keep them as warm as possible as the temperatures plummet!
Super advice. Thank you!

You can't use anything like fleece during winter. It would stay wet and thereby make them cold. Please do contact rescues closer to the time you are looking.
I'll take my pet store stuff back. That's what I get for shopping uneducated! Don't worry i'm keeping an eye on rescues.

The nest is cute but it will get peed in and will hold the moisture making it cold and damp rather than keeping your piggies warm
I didn't think about this but makes perfect sense. Thank you.

even with all the possible measures to keep them warm, you still need a spare cage (big enough, bearing in mind, although I appreciate you don’t know what sex piggies you will get, but two boars need a hutch/cage of 180 x 60cm) and a plan to bring them indoors. It takes a lot of work (and it’s sometimes quite stressful!) to keep them warm outside (even with the protection of a shed which sits a lot warmer than outside temperatures due to not being exposed to the elements)

Send the rescues an email rather than keeping an eye on their websites. They usually have waiting lists.

Some really helpful advice and tips above. We also have guides and a shed thread with ideas for hutches in sheds. And some great threads already about keeping hutches warm. If you do have outdoor hutches you do have to insulate against cold, protect against the damp, and use heat pads and insulated boxes to help keep them warm as the temperature drops especially overnight.

I’m afraid many reputable rescues won’t adopt to outside homes,either. Many insist on indoor (in a house, garage or shed) all year round.

Definitely, as above. When my piggies were in the heated shed they had their 'bedroom' area which was kept even warmer as temperature will hold better in smaller area. I would clean the whole bedroom in morning and at night and reheat their snugglesafe (I find it easier having more as my boys would be angry if I took 10 minutes to come back with replacement!) That way they had dry piles of hay to snuggle with and the snugglesafe was nice and warm.
I've moved my pair indoors this year as it's like a full time job keeping them warm and meant lots of forecast checking, heating setting (the heating was on timer) and late nights as I would reheat their snugglesafe at 10pm...

even with all the possible measures to keep them warm, you still need a spare cage (big enough, bearing in mind, although I appreciate you don’t know what sex piggies you will get, but two boars need a hutch/cage of 180 x 60cm) and a plan to bring them indoors. It takes a lot of work (and it’s sometimes quite stressful!) to keep them warm outside (even with the protection of a shed which sits a lot warmer than outside temperatures due to not being exposed to the elements)
I appreciate what you're saying. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of a shed or bringing them inside but I am committed to them and will do my absolute best to keep them warm, safe and happy!

Some really helpful advice and tips above. We also have guides and a shed thread with ideas for hutches in sheds. And some great threads already about keeping hutches warm. If you do have outdoor hutches you do have to insulate against cold, protect against the damp, and use heat pads and insulated boxes to help keep them warm as the temperature drops especially overnight.

I’m afraid many reputable rescues won’t adopt to outside homes,either. Many insist on indoor (in a house, garage or shed) all year round.

Oh totally. It's a great forum with fabulous advice and i'm so eager to learn. That's sad about the rescues but fair. Perhaps I could look at rabbits but I don't think the hutch would be big enough for two sadly. :soz:

Definitely, as above. When my piggies were in the heated shed they had their 'bedroom' area which was kept even warmer as temperature will hold better in smaller area. I would clean the whole bedroom in morning and at night and reheat their snugglesafe (I find it easier having more as my boys would be angry if I took 10 minutes to come back with replacement!) That way they had dry piles of hay to snuggle with and the snugglesafe was nice and warm.
I've moved my pair indoors this year as it's like a full time job keeping them warm and meant lots of forecast checking, heating setting (the heating was on timer) and late nights as I would reheat their snugglesafe at 10pm...

I can appreciate that it's a lot of work. Thankfully i'm used to horses so late nights don't bother me but I see where you're coming from.

Well done for doing your research and taking your time I'm sure you'll make a great piggie mum when the time is right

Thank you, that means a lot. I believe it's important to do research. So many people get piggies and rabbits and just assume they're easy and cheap and you see so many of them suffer because of a lack of knowledge. If I get piggies, I want them to be 100% happy and healthy!

You've had some great advice above but as I have outdoor piggies I thought I would add to it.

I have adopted from rescues on our rescue locator list and they have been aware that my piggies are outdoors year round. Those willing to consider it generally look to re-home from around end of April when the weather starts to get warmer.

I have tried fleece outdoors and for the bedding it doesn't work. It just feels constantly damp so I now use aubiose or raveria horse bedding and love them both. I do use fleece hideys but these generally get popped out overnight and switched straight away. It's not too bad if we get dry days but the slightest hint of rain and they seem to absorb the moisture from the air.

Looking on gumtree etc I would avoid. Personally I would rather buy from pets at home. Unfortunately people on marketplace style websites can be economical with the truth and you may end up with very ill piggies that need a lot of vet visits and medication etc. These websites are a haven for backyard breeders too who often breed back to back and advertise older piggies when they can't make any more profit from them.

I appreciate what you're saying. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of a shed or bringing them inside but I am committed to them and will do my absolute best to keep them warm, safe and happy!

Oh totally. It's a great forum with fabulous advice and i'm so eager to learn. That's sad about the rescues but fair. Perhaps I could look at rabbits but I don't think the hutch would be big enough for two sadly. :soz:

We understand that not everybody has the ability to bring them indoors. It’s a case of being absolutely sure you can keep them warm enough in the hutch when it’s in the minus figures outside. Piggies unfortunately aren’t hardy.

How big is your hutch?
Rabbits still need to be kept in pairs but they need even more room - a rabbit pair need a minimum hutch of 6ft x 2ft within a 10ft x 6ft run - 60 sq ft is the space requirement of a rabbit pair) in that respect my rabbits are harder work than the piggies!

You've had some great advice above but as I have outdoor piggies I thought I would add to it.

I have adopted from rescues on our rescue locator list and they have been aware that my piggies are outdoors year round. Those willing to consider it generally look to re-home from around end of April when the weather starts to get warmer.

I have tried fleece outdoors and for the bedding it doesn't work. It just feels constantly damp so I now use aubiose or raveria horse bedding and love them both. I do use fleece hideys but these generally get popped out overnight and switched straight away. It's not too bad if we get dry days but the slightest hint of rain and they seem to absorb the moisture from the air.

Looking on gumtree etc I would avoid. Personally I would rather buy from pets at home. Unfortunately people on marketplace style websites can be economical with the truth and you may end up with very ill piggies that need a lot of vet visits and medication etc. These websites are a haven for backyard breeders too who often breed back to back and advertise older piggies when they can't make any more profit from them.

Great advice. Thank you :D
We understand that not everybody has the ability to bring them indoors. It’s a case of being absolutely sure you can keep them warm enough in the hutch when it’s in the minus figures outside. Piggies unfortunately aren’t hardy.

How big is your hutch?
Rabbits still need to be kept in pairs but they need even more room - a rabbit pair need a minimum hutch of 6ft x 2ft within a 10ft x 6ft run - 60 sq ft is the space requirement of a rabbit pair) in that respect my rabbits are harder work than the piggies!
6ft x 2ft double hutch with the run of the secure back yard.

Great advice. Thank you :D

6ft x 2ft double hutch with the run of the secure back yard.

Just to clarify when you say a secure back yard is this in a covered run. Although your piggie may not be able to get out you need to also consider whether predators such as cats, birds of prey and foxes can get in.

Just to clarify when you say a secure back yard is this in a covered run. Although your piggie may not be able to get out you need to also consider whether predators such as cats, birds of prey and foxes can get in.
AH! Fair point. It's a deep yard (down from the main path and sheltered by high walls & gate with a constant view from the window. It isn't secure from the roof. I didn't even think about that :soz: I'm doing a whole lot of things wrong at the moment..

AH! Fair point. It's a deep yard (down from the main path and sheltered by high walls & gate with a constant view from the window. It isn't secure from the roof. I didn't even think about that :soz: I'm doing a whole lot of things wrong at the moment..

No need to be so hard on yourself the joy of a forum like this is we all have our own points of view, experience and expertise. You're doing the right thing by being here and asking the questions.

Actually so far you are doing everything RIGHT.
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Wrong would be if you joined the Forum saying you had just bought 2 baby piggies and put them outside, with inappropriate bedding, heating, and shelter, and one got eaten be a local cat.

Honestly I am deeply impressed how you seem to have thought everything through, are open mined and prepared to learn, and are taking all of the suggestions on board.

I think you will be a brilliant piggy owner when the time comes. :hug:

You can get rescues which rehome piggies outdoors. You might have to travel (providing restrictions allow you). Just send emails to those around you and then expand the search. They'll just be quite strict on you having everything ready for winter (even if you're rehoming them in late spring) . Some hutch covers are expensive, so it might be a lot of money from the start. However, before you buy you have to ensure it's what they'll accept, so you don't waste hundreds on set up which will not be suitable. I had foster pigs that weren't settling indoors as they lived their whole lives outdoors and were nervous. They were rehomed to a piggie shed. It's just easier to ask for indoor homes only to ensure people aren't neglecting the cold weather care.

Don't feel bad if you're turned down by one rescue, just thank them and move on. Some can be stuck in their way.

I actually failed home check for piggies 10 year ago. Apparently it was because 'the accommodation wasn't big enough'. They had a single room (with double door system) filled with tunnels and hideys to roam around as back then C&C grids weren't commonly sold around UK... There was more to it, which I won't go into, but needles to say I guickly found different rescue willing to rehome into such horrendous conditions...

Back