Babies fighting please help

Hadi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive had the 2 babies (sisters) for 3 days, while i was at work today watching them on the pet can i saw them having a fight, they were going around in circles and attacking each other it looked bad.

I turned the mic on and my voice startled then and they ran back into hiding.

I didnt think they would do this as they aee sisters and have been together since birth.

Theres plenty of room its a 2x5 with plenty of places to hide.

I got so worried when i saw it happen.

Hi, it can take piggies several weeks to settle into their new home and surroundings, do you have two of everything and what age are your babies?

When they move into a new environment, it causes them to reestablish their relationship and hierarchy. This will happen no matter how long they have been together. This will take a couple of weeks.
Equally, being sisters doesn’t mean they will definitely get on.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Its important to try to recognise the difference between dominance and a fight.
Dominance is normal. A proper fight is immediately bond breaking and requires separation (most likely permanent)

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble

When you got home were either of the piggies injured? Was there blood drawn? If not then just keep a close eye on them. It’s just dominance behaviour. Make sure all hides have two exits so they can’t trap each other in them.

When you got home were either of the piggies injured? Was there blood drawn? If not then just keep a close eye on them. It’s just dominance behaviour. Make sure all hides have two exits so they can’t trap each other in them.
No visible injuries and no blood drawn.

Hi, it can take piggies several weeks to settle into their new home and surroundings, do you have two of everything and what age are your babies?

I have two of everything, they are 6 weeks
When they move into a new environment, it causes them to reestablish their relationship and hierarchy. This will happen no matter how long they have been together. This will take a couple of weeks.
Equally, being sisters doesn’t mean they will definitely get on.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Its important to try to recognise the difference between dominance and a fight.
Dominance is normal. A proper fight is immediately bond breaking and requires separation (most likely permanent)

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble
thanks for the info

Have a read of the guide posted above on levels of dominance and see where they were sitting.

Would you mind describing exactly were they doing? Was there anything that sounds like submissive squeaking or one running away from the other?

Being related or together since birth unfortunately doesn’t guarantee song lasting bond. It’s about character compatibility and not blood relation etc.

Hopefully they settle down and it was just a bout of dominance. And as said above, they have only been there three days. They’re still working out their hierarchy in their new environment.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Bonds In Trouble

Have a read of the guide posted above on levels of dominance and see where they were sitting.

Would you mind describing exactly were they doing? Was there anything that sounds like submissive squeaking or one running away from the other?

Being related or together since birth unfortunately doesn’t guarantee song lasting bond. It’s about character compatibility and not blood relation etc.

Hopefully they settle down and it was just a bout of dominance. And as said above, they have only been there three days. They’re still working out their hierarchy in their new environment.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Bonds In Trouble
I will try to describe it as best as i can,

Its hard to describe the sound but it did not sound like squeaking.

Both of their heads would go up in the air and they would be nose to nose, then they would start doing what looks like “headbutting” each other really fast, then would start going in circles and what looks to be kind of nipping each other,

And i break it up before it gets further, there has been no blood or scratches evident.

When i am in the room and they are scared of me they cuddle together in a hidy, but when i am not there and I'm watching through pet cam i see them fight.

Where did you place them on the dominance behaviour guide?

Back