• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Atherosclerosis caused by infection

BgPiggie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday I lost one of my two guinea pigs (4.5 years) due to calcified aorta, leading to heart disease. My vet thinks the original cause is a past unnoticed infection - one that caused inflammation of the aorta and then calcification. But I cannot find any info on the web for such a case. I read infection can lead to pneumonia, death and so on. And atherosclerosis is caused by high fat diet and so on but I cannot find anything about a link between the two. Does anybody knows anything?
By the way I have always fed them right, not with high fat food. About an infection, I may be guilty since long story short, for 10-30 days (but not nights) earlier this year I have let them walk on wet surface, since I didn't realize it could be risky. Didn't seem bothered because they had a dry spot but did not go onto it. Also, the pig has never showed any signs of respiratory infection.
I need to know what I did wrong.
Thank you in advance

Back