At what point should you give up trying to bond two pigs?

historickitty

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sadly we recently lost one of our pair of sows to a URI (thank you to everyone who offered advice on this previously).

This left her companion alone - after reading all of the guides on here we left her for about two weeks to make sure she too hadn’t caught the illness and got her checked out. All fine so we decided to try and find a companion for her - although it’s notable that she hasn’t reacted too badly to her sister passing away. She’s still eating like a piggy and popcorning and chatting to myself and my husband.

We took her to see Reta at Coseley rescue and we collectively picked out a neutered boar to try with her. He’s about 2 and our girl is just turning four. They were placed into a neutral space together and at first things seemed fairly calm. Then there was the usual rumbling etc but our girl seemed to get increasingly agitated at certain points and made a lunge for the boar once or twice.

We eventually decided to take him and see how we got on - again, placed them in a neutral space but once more we had rumbling and circling which escalated into very loud and aggressive teeth chattering and several lunges. Our sow just doesn’t seem to know how to approach him without being intimidating and aggressive, even when she seems to just want to sniff him. He reacts extremely fearfully and just freezes until the point he’s almost forced to retaliate and ends up chattering at her in return until she goes in for another lunge.

I’ve read the behaviour guides on here and my understanding is that lunging with an open mouth at one another is not a good sign at all. While they haven’t drawn blood yet I’m reluctant to try them together again because it seems as though that might eventually be the result. My question is at what point do you just accept that two pigs don’t like each other - are the lunges enough to call it a day? I’ve put them in cages next to each other so they can get to know one another more slowly through the bars first and take things back a bit and give them more time but I don’t even know given how they were on both occasions when they were in the same space whether it’s even worth attempting again? I’m concerned about the male’s welfare through all of this and would rather return him sooner rather than later if he’s stuck with no companion when he clearly wants one and she doesn’t. He’s an extremely laidback, friendly little guy normally and has happily lived in a group before.

I’m also concerned about our girl, Marmalade, and her likelihood of ever wanting to bond with another pig. She’s only just shy of 4 years old but has only ever known her sister, which leads me to think a lot of her behaviour is fear based aggression. She’s always been dominant but very fearful at the same time - it was always her sister who was the more outgoing and brave of the two.

Reta also tried her with a very young sow of about 8 weeks old and she didn’t seem to want to tolerate her either, although they weren’t together very long - not long enough to tell in my opinion at least.

I don’t know that I would try again given what you have described. And I also think it’s a case that she hasn’t found another piggy she likes yet.

I wouldn’t give up quite yet. The problem with older sows is they can become ‘set in their ways’.

How long was she with the young sow? And when you say she didn’t seem to want to tolerate her, what did she do?

Hi

If the lunging (i.e. keep out of my space) etc. continues but there is no exchange of friendly assurance that both parties still want to be together when the chips are down (like deliberate piggy washes in full sight of the other party) in between sessions or at the start of bonding sessions, then I would call it shots.
Some widowed old ladies prefer their own territory. I currently have got two of them living side by side with more neighbours on other sides. Neither of them has accepted a new group member since they were about 6 months old and both have finally survived all their life-long companions they have not fallen out with. :(

There is no set age; it is more a matter of personal outlook. Sometimes they do find somepig they accept but
sometimes they are just not interested. You have to always play these things by ear and give your piggies a chance. If they don't want to take it, then it is what rescue dating is about - giving them a say in what they want. It is just more complicated since they cannot tell us directly so we have to work our way through it.

I don’t know that I would try again given what you have described. And I also think it’s a case that she hasn’t found another piggy she likes yet.

I wouldn’t give up quite yet. The problem with older sows is they can become ‘set in their ways’.

How long was she with the young sow? And when you say she didn’t seem to want to tolerate her, what did she do?
Thanks for your reply!

She was only with the youngster for about 10 or 15 minutes or so. Little one tried to get closer to her and when she got too close for Marmalade’s liking Marmalade sort of mock bopped her on the head - sorry that’s as close as I can describe it! It was more like a scolding. I was more hopeful for her to get on with the baby to be honest as I thought she might feel less threatened with a baby then with another adult.

I would also say that it wasn’t much of an attempt to bond with the youngster either because the neutered boar was still left in the pen with the two of them when Reta tried putting the baby in so she was probably still agitated by his presence .

Hi

If the lunging (i.e. keep out of my space) etc. continues but there is no exchange of friendly assurance that both parties still want to be together when the chips are down (like deliberate piggy washes in full sight of the other party) in between sessions or at the start of bonding sessions, then I would call it shots.
Some widowed old ladies prefer their own territory. I currently have got two of them living side by side with more neighbours on other sides. Neither of them has accepted a new group member since they were about 6 months old and both have finally survived all their life-long companions they have not fallen out with. :(

There is no set age; it is more a matter of personal outlook. Sometimes they do find somepig they accept but
sometimes they are just not interested. You have to always play these things by ear and give your piggies a chance. If they don't want to take it, then it is what rescue dating is about - giving them a say in what they want. It is just more complicated since they cannot tell us directly so we have to work our way through it.
Thank you.

I’m not sure if it was a positive sign or not but our sow did at one point stop and wash her face - but then launched herself at him again later on. Very mixed signals!

After a lot of aggro they also did have a good twenty minutes or so where they both lay down and had a bit of a snooze at opposites sides of the pen - but I don’t know if that was just because they were tired out from all of the negative interaction. As soon as they both woke up it started all over again.

Hi

Please accept that I cannot tell you what to do without having access to your piggies and getting a feel for their interaction. But if they are straight back at it between rest rounds and they are sitting at opposite ends, then it is not looking promising. The longer it goes on, the harder the fronts usually get.

I would recommend to abort as soon as your two get into this kind of behaviour.

Back