At what age

Aliciaxox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiii, it’s been over a month since I adopted my guinea pig, and he’s about 4 months old. His hair has gotten really long, and I want to know if it’s too early to trim it a little bit. I can’t even see his eyes. Also, do I need special scissors to trim his hair, or can I use any kind of scissors?

I have a long haired piggy and I keep his hair around his bottom and sides cut short year round to prevent it dragging through bedding.
In summer all his hair gets cut short so he stays cool.
You can cut it as and when needed.

All you need is some scissors and a comb, there is no age set for the first hair cut. Trim your guinea pig once it seems to be getting a bit long. It depends on how fast his hair grows, but you should brush it every day, and trim about one a month.

An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Thanks for linking in my guide @The Pig.

I used to trim The Ever Beautiful Betsy's flowing locks every 6 weeks. It took quite a long time for her to get used to being trimmed and to sit nicely as in the videos. She would often go around for a couple of days with it half done and then when she'd calmed down enough, I did the other side. It takes time and patience. It may help if you have somebody to hold your piggie while you trim away. Don't forget, it's not a beauty contest. If the first few times you attempt to cut it, it doesn't look all that good, don't worry. It took a while before I was competent enough to have Betsy looking fairly reasonable each time I gave her a very fashionable wedge cut.

Back