• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

At this point, are painkillers still worth it?

Vivianhe

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has unfortunately developed some sort of tumour on her bum that is steadily increasing in size :( The vet estimates that she has approximately one more month to live. She then proceeded to tell me that the tumour does not really seem to be bothering her at all - in other words, it is not causing her pain. I would agree with the vet because she still eats and drinks the same amount, albeit with less energy than before. She also still squeaks when she smells me bringing her treats. However, the vet prescribed a painkiller for my piggy at the end of our appointment, despite making it clear that the tumour was not causing pain! So, should I administer this med? I don't want Matcha to spend her last days drugged up, especially since it has to be syringe fed, which she isn't too keen on...

What pain killer did the Vet prescribe? Was it Metacam (Loxicom)? What is the dose? If so I haven't come across a piggy that doesn't like it. Your piggy will soon become a Metacam junkie. My Christian was on Metacam for a while and he was soon opening his mouth for the syringe and grabbing it out of my hand! Metacam is a a painkiller and anti inflammatory. Piggies, being prey animals, are good at hiding pain and illness so although your vet doesn't think your piggy is in pain she may well be which is probably why he has prescribed it. Your guinea pig will not be "drugged up" for the last days of her life she will just be pain free if she is in pain. To give you some reassurance there are quite a few piggies on this forum on long term Metacam for various reasons.

What age is you guinea pig? Is it possible to operate on the tumour to remove it at all? or is that something the vet has advised against?

Am tagging in few Health and Illness experts for you.
@Freela, @Pound Shilling & Pig, @Jaycey, @helen105281

I would probably give the painkiller because the thought of them being in discomfort would worry me. Pigs are good at hiding pain. I've had pigs on metacam and they didn't seem to be drugged up or sedated from it.

What pain killer did the Vet prescribe? Was it Metacam (Loxicom)? What is the dose? If so I haven't come across a piggy that doesn't like it. Your piggy will soon become a Metacam junkie. My Christian was on Metacam for a while and he was soon opening his mouth for the syringe and grabbing it out of my hand! Metacam is a a painkiller and anti inflammatory. Piggies, being prey animals, are good at hiding pain and illness so although your vet doesn't think your piggy is in pain she may well be which is probably why he has prescribed it. Your guinea pig will not be "drugged up" for the last days of her life she will just be pain free if she is in pain. To give you some reassurance there are quite a few piggies on this forum on long term Metacam for various reasons.

What age is you guinea pig? Is it possible to operate on the tumour to remove it at all? or is that something the vet has advised against?

Am tagging in few Health and Illness experts for you.
@Freela, @Pound Shilling & Pig, @Jaycey, @helen105281
Thank you so much for the reply! My guinea pig is almost 5 years old, and the vet says that it would be impossible to remove the tumour since it is so large, there would be too many health risks. The medication is Metacam, 0.4mL per day. As per everybody's advice, I am now syringe feeding her the medication daily. Thanks again.

Back