asserting dominance-- feeling guilty

bumblebea04

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!
i was holding my guinea pig while giving her her antibiotics, and i had given her a break in between mouthfuls (1ml antibiotics :(), and i was giving her pets on her head. she then like pushed my hand with her head. i didnt realize it was a friendly redirection and thought it was something i had to correct, so i held her chin up for a few seconds (followed by some eye rubs) like i read in the thread here. however, i decided to look up that behavior just out of curiosity and it seems like it was unnecessary for me to correct, so now I'm feeling pretty guilty for doing that for no reason, since it may have been a bit rude.
(its worth noting that a couple minutes later i gave her ear scritches and she did some quiet little happy squeaks-- but i still feel bad! i want her to feel comfortable enough around me to express what she doesnt like and I'm worried i messed that up)
any advice or words of wisdom appreciated :)

Hi, it seems your post had been missed unfortunately, but I hope I can give you some reassurance now.

Yes, the pushing away of your hand or object is a completely normal and wouldn’t typically need correcting, but I can promise you that there was very likely no harm done by your correction.

Realistically to break your bond/trust with your piggie you would have to do something really quite bad such as harm them, as they would then associate you with that, but the correction you made shouldn’t have done anything to your bond at all, apart from maybe remind her who the boss is.

I hope this helps clear up your question!

Back