Aspen

• Thread starter Thread starter Kristin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kristin

whats your opinions on this stuff?

I seen a huge bag for cheap, is it better then other wood beddings?

Ive never heard of it to be honest but i would like to know if it is!

Its used for reptiles. Not ideal for pigs. Its like thin strips of wood, not flakes like wood shavings.

Aspen can be found in wood chips and shavings which is more ideal than the thin strip kind, but usually costs more. It costs more than cedar and pine and is safer than both for guinea pigs, but not ideal b/c it does contain some dust although a better option than pine. I find the most economical solution is using fleece. I buy pet rugs which are fleece rugs that can be cut to fit your cage and washed and reused. It works great b/c you don't have to dig through all the bedding to clean out all the poo. The pee goes right through the fleece, so you must put something beneath to absorb it. That is what I use the wood shavings/chips for. I use pine. I put down a layer of newspapers, then pine, and then a layer of paper towels to help keep the wood chips from sticking to the fleece. Still avoid cedar the smell may be too much. Aspen can be used the same way, but costs more than pine.

well I have two pigs now and I think carefresh is going to be to much money for me, so I think ill buy the aspen when I run out of this bag

The problem with Aspen is that it doesn't withhold the smell so you will have to change more often. I like Carefresh because it does last much longer smell wise. Having an allergy to the dander means I need to use something that can smell fresh which Carefresh does or change often which I do on the fleece.

I wish Carefresh was cheap it would be my first choice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back