Arguing more after a vet visit?

IDal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Today I took my boys (3,5 month old) to the vet for a check up before getting neutered in a couple of weeks. They were healthy looking big boys, thankfully. The vet is a little further away because they have a lot of experience with guinea pigs and neutering them (they are the go to vets for a local shelter). So they have been in a travel basket for about 2 hours. After getting home they were exhausted, but tonight they seem to have a lot of issues with each other. No true fighting, but a lot of rumbling, teeth chattering and chasing. Could this be from the stress of traveling? Aside from regular day to day cleaning and moving the hay tray I didn’t change anything in the cage. I’m really hoping that they won’t have this behavior after their neuter, because I’m guessing that will be even more stressful for them.

Today I took my boys (3,5 month old) to the vet for a check up before getting neutered in a couple of weeks. They were healthy looking big boys, thankfully. The vet is a little further away because they have a lot of experience with guinea pigs and neutering them (they are the go to vets for a local shelter). So they have been in a travel basket for about 2 hours. After getting home they were exhausted, but tonight they seem to have a lot of issues with each other. No true fighting, but a lot of rumbling, teeth chattering and chasing. Could this be from the stress of traveling? Aside from regular day to day cleaning and moving the hay tray I didn’t change anything in the cage. I’m really hoping that they won’t have this behavior after their neuter, because I’m guessing that will be even more stressful for them.

Hi

Please don't worry; they will settle down again! They are just about coming up to teenage and are more likely experiencing a first hormone rush while they re-establish their hierarchy after every change.

Can I ask for what reason you are planning to have your boys neutered? It is not going to prevent any fall-outs or changing their interaction as teenagers or personality lookout.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Hi

Please don't worry; they will settle down again! They are just about coming up to teenage and are more likely experiencing a first hormone rush while they re-establish their hierarchy after every change.

Can I ask for what reason you are planning to have your boys neutered? It is not going to prevent any fall-outs or changing their interaction as teenagers or personality lookout.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
I want to neuter them just in case. If they don’t make it as a couple then I will have to split them, but I don’t have space for 2 boar couples (they have a 4x3 grid + loft now, I don’t have space for a second cage that size). So I would want to match them with a sow if they fall out. Also, if one dies before the other, I would prefer matching with a sow. These two give me a scare everytime something changes, so I don’t think I will try two boars again after these two.

I read that neutering is much safer at a young age and also, I wouldn’t want them to be alone for a 6 week post-op waiting period if they do fall out.

Nothing wrong with thinking of the future and being neutered does mean they have more options.

To mention though, that if you have two pairs and c&c cages, then cages can be stacked one on top of the other so two cages doesn’t need to take up any more floor space.

Teen boars can be hot-headed but as long as they want to be together then they will be absolufely fine. The success of a sow pair or indeed a neutered boar/sow pair still comes down to compatibility and mutual liking.

I want to neuter them just in case. If they don’t make it as a couple then I will have to split them, but I don’t have space for 2 boar couples (they have a 4x3 grid + loft now, I don’t have space for a second cage that size). So I would want to match them with a sow if they fall out. Also, if one dies before the other, I would prefer matching with a sow. These two give me a scare everytime something changes, so I don’t think I will try two boars again after these two.

I read that neutering is much safer at a young age and also, I wouldn’t want them to be alone for a 6 week post-op waiting period if they do fall out.

Thank you for clarifying. Nothing wrong with long term planning for flexibility!
We have to check because we get new members wanting to neuter or having been recommended to neuter by vets for the wrong reasons. There is still a lot of bad information out there and the old concepts are slow to disappear. :(

You may find the information in our comprehensive neutering guide (link in my first post) helpful over the coming weeks, as it contains post-op care information and a list of the most common post-op complications to be aware of, but also an example of a successful recovery.
Here is a guide link to pairs of different constellations, which you may find interesting. They each have very different challenges but also advantages: A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

All the best! You are welcome to open an ongoing monitored support thread for your freshly operated boys in our Health/Illness if you feel that this would help you. Unlike social media we do not rely on generating lots of new threads but can provide longer term personalised moral and practical support during an illness or operation recovery, both practical and moral. All we ask is to please keep everything together in a single thread to avoid confusion.

Thank you for clarifying. Nothing wrong with long term planning for flexibility!
We have to check because we get new members wanting to neuter or having been recommended to neuter by vets for the wrong reasons. There is still a lot of bad information out there and the old concepts are slow to disappear. :(

You may find the information in our comprehensive neutering guide (link in my first post) helpful over the coming weeks, as it contains post-op care information and a list of the most common post-op complications to be aware of, but also an example of a successful recovery.
Here is a guide link to pairs of different constellations, which you may find interesting. They each have very different challenges but also advantages: A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

All the best! You are welcome to open an ongoing monitored support thread for your freshly operated boys in our Health/Illness if you feel that this would help you. Unlike social media we do not rely on generating lots of new threads but can provide longer term personalised moral and practical support during an illness or operation recovery, both practical and moral. All we ask is to please keep everything together in a single thread to avoid confusion.
Thank you! They will be getting their neuter 31st of may. Hoping all goes well, but I know where to go if I have questions, this forum is so helpful!

Thank you! They will be getting their neuter 31st of may. Hoping all goes well, but I know where to go if I have questions, this forum is so helpful!

It is our explicit forum ethos to provide a friendly and supportive space and community with good advice and information. There are so many others that don't. It takes a lot more work behind the scenes to keep it like that.
But we are here for any questions or concerns or if you just want to hang out for a friendly chat... ;)

Back