• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Are willow branchs safe for piggies?

• Thread starter Thread starter baby piggie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby piggie

My piggie doesnt seem to want to chew on any of the wooden blocks that i have bought him, i do have some willow branchs left over from when i got them for my bunny (he died while having an operation). Is willow sticks safe for piggies to chew on? :)

ooh wicked ill have to get some for my pigs...

Is there any other types of branches they can have?

Hmm, good idea - we have lots of willow at the end of our garden. I gave them some apple tree prunings but they weren't sure what to do with them, I think.

What an idiot i am 98) I buy willow sticks & balls for the piggies & we have a willow tree in the garden ::)

I'll be "pruning" from now on ;D

Willow branches should not really be given to piggies to chew because the bark contains salicin.I do not give any branches to my pigs because I feel that hay and dried grass is better for them. Mary

Oh dear! What am i ment to give my piggie to chew on then? He does eat his hay but i am worried about his teeth overgrowing if he doesnt gnaw. What else can i give them to chew?

Hay and dry grass are enough.Hard veg like carrot help to keep the teeth down as well.I very rarely get problems with overgrowth of teeth,and in the few cases I have had the problem has been genetic. Mary

guineapigvet said:
Willow branches should not really be given to piggies to chew because the bark contains salicin.I do not give any branches to my pigs because I feel that hay and dried grass is better for them. Mary

No pruning will be done - i've just heard the willow sigh with relief :D :D

;D also... you could get wooden blocks for them to chew on... untreated pine is okay...

So no willow sticks but could you give them apple,pear or ash(said in a book?)Or is it better not to give them nothing to "chew"?

I prefer not to give anything except loads of quality hay and dry grass for chewing.All wood barks contain chemicals which could be potentialy harmful.Over the years of piggy keeping I honestly have had very few cases of overgrowth or spurs,and those were genetic anyway. Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back