Are they scared of me?

• Thread starter Thread starter next_croc-hunter?
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

next_croc-hunter?

My guinea pigs keep on running away when they see me coming and i give them all the attention (cuddles everyday) tehy need is this because i have only had them for a cupple of monts or can i do something to help stop them from running

most of mine still run away and i've had some of them a long time. they enjoy cuddles once they are on my lap though. i think its just the guinea pig way!

They all have their own personalities, don't worry, have lots of patience and remember to have those treats in your hand to give immediately on picking them up. They might associate this with you picking them up and treaties yummo :)
btw our boy Duke is nearly 6 and he STILL runs away ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

All mine still run away except for Teddy, but he kind of looks at me as if to say "you are gonna catch me anyway, so may as well make it easy for you" ;D

A couple of mine still run away after almost a year, the others come straight to me - it depends on the piggy :)

I have 2 piggies. One of them always runs away from me and runs about squealling when I try to pick her up - once she's up she's fine and enjoys a cuddle. My other one sometimes sits still to be picked up, sometimes runs about and other times hides from me - depends what mood she's in. :)

i also have 2 piggies, i've had them over a year and they both have completely different personalities! Al stops and flattens herself when you pick her up but doesnt like being held for long, she's a jumper chewer. Wen loves lying on my knee for ages but generally runs when i try and pick her up! ;D

I think many will run when they see you about to pick them up, even after months of careful and patience trying! Try not to worry, it could be months or even years before they stop panicking. I always tried to think how I would feel if I was a tiny and vulnerable prey animal kept in a cage/hutch with huge people looming over me no matter how well intentioned! I think I would run and hide as well!

unfortunately my 2 boys run away, they only come near when i have food hehe

i think its just natural instrict as in the wild thats how they would survive

Patience is the key ;)

I've had mine since 26th December last year and they still run away but we're getting there. If I sit there for a bit (infront of their cage) with food they will come and get it..they usually run back to safety after they've took it but before they would have never came out. Also, occasionally if I approach them slowly and quietly but talking to them softly Beauty will sit still and let me stroke him/pick him up :) It's great when they start trusting you and all your hard work is paying off :smitten:

My piggy always runs when I walk in the room, but he usually lets me pick him up, but only in a certain corner of his cage. ::) 98) ::) 98)
He also jumps when he hears a sudden noise, even if it is as subtle as me picking up a piece of paper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back