Are these safe?

Little Ones

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Just wondering if these items are suitable for guide pigs? Our piggy, Digby, passed away a few weeks ago and his previous owner wanted to send us some items from p@h. The order just came and it contains these, I don’t want to give them if they’re potentially harmful. I doubt he will chew on it, but still.
233320E1-A234-4CFC-A4DC-BF3D971F9982.webp
3838DA0A-F305-413C-87B4-94D08B23D6B6.webp

Also, she sent us a large package of woodshavings, which we don’t use. Is this something rescues tend to use from time to time? Or should we just get rid of it all together?

So sorry to hear about Digby, sending hugs x

I wouldn’t use them either, but the wood shavings will be alright to use as long as they are shavings and not sawdust

Please don’t give your guinea pigs those toys. They’re made from glue and sawdust. Some rescues do use wood shavings. I’m very sorry for your loss of Digby x
Okay, thank you! Pet stores sell such questionable items that I thought it best to ask here, it’s a shame they can’t be used. Will contact local rescues regarding the wood shavings too xx

So sorry to hear about Digby, sending hugs x

I wouldn’t use them either, but the wood shavings will be alright to use as long as they are shavings and not sawdust
Thank you, we lost BB on Saturday too, so we’re down to just Sprout now. Digby’s previous owner also sent over some willow chews which I know will be fine, so hopefully they keep him occupied and not too lonely. It was nice of her to send anything over, she really didn’t have to, but her knowledge on guinea pig appropriate items is lacking. Hopefully a local rescue can make use of the wood shavings though, I’ll have to have a ring around xx

I'm sorry that you've lost Digby and BB. Good intentions were there. You can donate the wood shavings as mentioned, the bridge as well if used for an animal that doesn't chew much. Some hamsters use them as hides and rarely chew them. Obviously it is something that needs to be kept an eye on. Alternatively you could take it back to your nearest pets at home and swap it for something more suitable?

I'm sorry that you've lost Digby and BB. Good intentions were there. You can donate the wood shavings as mentioned, the bridge as well if used for an animal that doesn't chew much. Some hamsters use them as hides and rarely chew them. Obviously it is something that needs to be kept an eye on. Alternatively you could take it back to your nearest pets at home and swap it for something more suitable?
We aren’t in possession of a receipt, so don’t think we would be able to exchange it unfortunately :(

Back