• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Are these normal

Tahi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'll cut right to the chase. I have a 7 month old Guinea pig, her name is Winnie. And recently a was playing with her and noticed that she has long nipples. I didnt notice them before I've only had her for three weeks and I don't know if it's normal for her or not.

these are the pictures

Attachments

• Side one .webp
    Side one .webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Sidetwo.webp
    Sidetwo.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome to the forum.

As long as they are not sore, red or swollen I’d say they are fine.

One of my male piggies has quite long nipples.

Hi everyone, I'll cut right to the chase. I have a 7 month old Guinea pig, her name is Winnie. And recently a was playing with her and noticed that she has long nipples. I didnt notice them before I've only had her for three weeks and I don't know if it's normal for her or not.

Hi and welcome

Like human breasts, nipples vary in shape and size individually. Yours are within the normal range, if at the longer end.

Crusty nipples in sows mean active hormonal ovarian cysts. I one nipple is swollen and a different shape and size from the other, then also please see a vet.

Please body check and weigh Winnie once weekly on your kitchen scales for life-long health monitoring. It can be useful to take close up, clear pictures of all body parts once a year and put them in a reference folder so you have a comparison when you are not sure whether there is a change or not that may have to be seen by a vet. The weighing and checks can help you to spot problems earlier on when they are often easier and cheaper to treat than an advanced case.

Thank you so so much, there isn't any crust and both are the same size and color but I will take the suggestions of keeping a file to see if there has been any change and weighing.

Welcome to the forum. I have a pair of boars. Does she have a cage mate? Have you got a picture of her for us to drool over?

She doesnt yet in about a month she will be getting a friend though. A girl obviously because I DO NOT want little piggies yet! <3

She doesnt yet in about a month she will be getting a friend though. A girl obviously because I DO NOT want little piggies yet! <3

We offer a courtesy sexing service for newly arrived guinea pigs and support unplanned pregnancies/surprise babies.
It is always better to double-check the gender of your piggies before you introduce them:

Back