Are these new guiena names too similar & confusing?

The.Aussie.Guineas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first time posting here!
I have had guiena pigs for 4 years but have only ever had 2 (untill yesterday). Long story short but i had a 3yr old called Indigo and a 4yr old called Aviva. Indigo sadly passed away a month ago R.I.P my darling :( The 4yr old Aviva is still alive and well. I bought her a de-sexed male as a friend and after trying everything to bond them it just wouldnt work out. The male is called Gus and since he had sadly been in a shelter waiting for a home for 2 YEARS I decided i would keep him cause he is so sweet to me. Because they dont get along i got 2 new friends yesterday so that they are housed in seperate cages but both have a new friend each, so 2 cages, with 2 in each cage. Gus is the only boy and he is keeping his name because he knows it… Aviva my 4yr old is obviously keeping her name aswell. Then i have 2 new girls who i wanted to call Karma and Sugar. The new ones will obviously be in the new cages so it would be Gus and Karma + Aviva and sugar. Do you think that all the girls names ending with an “ah” sound is too confusing for them? Aviva knows her name and I'm not sure if calling her friend sugar is confusing for her cause the start of name is so different but the end sound is the same “ah”. Karma is paired with Gus so thats better, however their cage is in the same room as the other girls cage… but i only call them their names when I'm looking right at their cage. Do you think aviva and sugar will get confused? is having 3 girls ending with an “ah” sound too hard for them to tell their names apart? Or will they understand since the first parts of their names are so different? Thankyou! Xx

Hey all, this is my first time posting here!
I have had guiena pigs for 4 years but have only ever had 2 (untill yesterday). Long story short but i had a 3yr old called Indigo and a 4yr old called Aviva. Indigo sadly passed away a month ago R.I.P my darling :( The 4yr old Aviva is still alive and well. I bought her a de-sexed male as a friend and after trying everything to bond them it just wouldnt work out. The male is called Gus and since he had sadly been in a shelter waiting for a home for 2 YEARS I decided i would keep him cause he is so sweet to me. Because they dont get along i got 2 new friends yesterday so that they are housed in seperate cages but both have a new friend each, so 2 cages, with 2 in each cage. Gus is the only boy and he is keeping his name because he knows it… Aviva my 4yr old is obviously keeping her name aswell. Then i have 2 new girls who i wanted to call Karma and Sugar. The new ones will obviously be in the new cages so it would be Gus and Karma + Aviva and sugar. Do you think that all the girls names ending with an “ah” sound is too confusing for them? Aviva knows her name and I'm not sure if calling her friend sugar is confusing for her cause the start of name is so different but the end sound is the same “ah”. Karma is paired with Gus so thats better, however their cage is in the same room as the other girls cage… but i only call them their names when I'm looking right at their cage. Do you think aviva and sugar will get confused? is having 3 girls ending with an “ah” sound too hard for them to tell their names apart? Or will they understand since the first parts of their names are so different? Thankyou! Xx

Hi

Those names are different enough. They will learn theirs and those of thier companions. You'll likely end up with nicknames/endearments anyway.

I think they're fine too- besides, you'll probably end up shortening/lengthening them eventually, e.g. Scruffles to Scruffy and Spud to Spuddie.
We'd love to see some pics of your lovely pigs. 😍

Back