Are these good pellets?

PIGGIES FOREVER

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can I please have peoples opinions on these pellets, are they a good brand etc..?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-185612.webp
    Screenshot_20220816-185612.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20220822-135738.webp
    Screenshot_20220822-135738.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20220816-185612.webp
    Screenshot_20220816-185612.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220822-135738.webp
    Screenshot_20220822-135738.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
They are pretty good pellets - they are cold pressed (so retain more nutrients), grain free and are mostly grass based.
If I remember rightly they are slightly higher in calcium content than some other grain free options and I do see they contain Lucerne (alfalfa) so that is likely to be the reason for their slightly higher calcium content.

They are pretty good pellets - they are cold pressed (so retain more nutrients), grain free and are mostly grass based.
If I remember rightly they are slightly higher in calcium content than some other grain free options and I do see they contain Lucerne (alfalfa) so that is likely to be the reason for their slightly higher calcium content.
Thank you. That's mainly my concern? Is the calcium and phosphite ratio o.k?

I can’t find the ca:p ratio but to be honest the ca:p ratio of only one element of their diet is kind of irrelevant.
I think I saw their calcium content is 0.8 which is along the lines of most of the other brands of pellet (the ss grain free pellet is 0.6).

I can’t find the ca:p ratio but to be honest the ca:p ratio of only one element of their diet is kind of irrelevant.
I think I saw their calcium content is 0.8 which is along the lines of most of the other brands of pellet (the ss grain free pellet is 0.6).
What is ss ?

I'm sorry I do not,because the ratio has to combine,veg,pellets,hay and forage to give you the complete picture.pellets are a small part of the diet,that I do not worry.0.6 is a lowest calcium pellet I've seen in UK guinea pig pellets.Filtering the water and one tablespoon of pellets is the forums recommendations.genetics can play apart in some guinea pigs getting bladder/kidney stones.i just do what I can,other wise I would not enjoy my piggies ,if I took it too seriously.

I'm sorry I do not,because the ratio has to combine,veg,pellets,hay and forage to give you the complete picture.pellets are a small part of the diet,that I do not worry.0.6 is a lowest calcium pellet I've seen in UK guinea pig pellets.Filtering the water and one tablespoon of pellets is the forums recommendations.genetics can play apart in some guinea pigs getting bladder/kidney stones.i just do what I can,other wise I would not enjoy my piggies ,if I took it too seriously.
Oh yes, I agree with all what you have said. Just was wondering if you know what it was. I was reading a chat on hear some years ago about the ratio in guinea pigs pellets, and some people mentioned all sorts of ratios being right and some even did say that it cannot be fixed because veggies and such come into it, which is true. So I guess I was wondering if there was the right ratio for pellets and if any one know what it was.

Oh yes, I agree with all what you have said. Just was wondering if you know what it was. I was reading a chat on hear some years ago about the ratio in guinea pigs pellets, and some people mentioned all sorts of ratios being right and some even did say that it cannot be fixed because veggies and such come into it, which is true. So I guess I was wondering if there was the right ratio for pellets and if any one know what it was.

As Eileen has said, the calcium:phosphorous ratio is so inaccurate its not worth worrying about. It doesn’t take into account all elements of the diet and it’s not only known the soil the veg and bay is grown in has an effect etc, it’s impossible to know. Even if you knew the ratio of the pellets and even if that was ok, it wouldn’t help at all if the unknoqn factors of the rest of the diet change it all. This is why we don’t use the calcium:phosphorous ratio on here.

As long as pellets are kept limited to just one tablespoon per pig per day and you feed a good quality pellet, then that is all you need to be concerned about.

As Eileen has said, the calcium:phosphorous ratio is so inaccurate its not worth worrying about. It doesn’t take into account all elements of the diet and it’s not only known the soil the veg and bay is grown in has an effect etc, it’s impossible to know. Even if you knew the ratio of the pellets and even if that was ok, it wouldn’t help at all if the unknoqn factors of the rest of the diet change it all. This is why we don’t use the calcium:phosphorous ratio on here.

As long as pellets are kept limited to just one tablespoon per pig per day and you feed a good quality pellet, then that is all you need to be concerned about.
O.k thank you for your help. Like I mentioned, I thought it was something that had to be considered when looking at pellets.

Back