Are there ANY safe hay feeders?

florna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Since bringing the pigs home in January, I've always piled their hay up on the floor for them to eat. I'm currently at home a lot, so frequently top them up and have noticed their favourite place to poo is in amongst the hay. I want to keep their hay clean for them and as contained as possible. I thought a potential solution would be to buy a hay rack that's mounted on the wire cage wall (it's a C&C) with a litter tray full of hay underneath, allowing them to forage and poo if they want to, whilst always having access to clean hay from the rack. See below:

Rabbit Guinea Pig Small Pet Wall Mounted Hay Feeder/ Rack - Etsy UK

I've even been considering one of these feeder / litter tray combinations:

Best Guinea Pig Hay Feeder With Litter Box / Asaswood - Etsy UK

I do realise you can't potty train them - only encourage them to poo in certain places.

However, I've been reading a bit about the dangers of hay racks and have read some horrific stories. I'm worried about their little heads getting stuck between bars or in holes, but it sounds like there are much worse things that can happen too. Although, I've also read about them getting sick from eating hay they've soiled and urinated on - so I can't win!

Advice welcome. Thanks.

I prefer to give hay on the cage floor - messy, yes, and they poop and pee all over it, because sometimes hay is only edible once the human wants to swap it out 🤷‍♂️ I know at least one of them would get themselves stuck in any kind of feeder, but they're yet to have any issues with floor hay (including haypoke, fingers crossed). As long as you're regularly clearing up and substituting out the old hay the chances of them getting ill from it are very small. They'd probably have a bigger chance of injuries from a hay feeder.

Mine live in my shed so are fully bedded on hay and it is that which they eat. Wet hay removed daily (sometimes twice daily on a very cold winters day so they never are in damp bedding) and hay is topped up 2-4 times a day.

There were times when I had a hayrack for the piggies (have never used racks for the rabbits - I’ve kept rabbits for 30+years) but it was almost always ignored as they want to forage through the hay on the floor as they are running through it, laying inside it, snuggling up in it. Haven’t had a hayrack in with the piggies for a good three years now.

I always found providing several large hay trays piled high with hay and lined with newspaper was the best and easiest way to ensure they eat plenty of hay, but the mess was somewhat contained.
Then I just scoop the whole lot out every day or two and replace with fresh hay.

I have a hay rack which I ise for mine. Have had it for months with no issues. I'd just say make sure the bars are close othether so they can't get their head stuck etc.

I have giant balls my 2 boys eat off of and I put Orchard Hay in there. Orchard hay is a bit softer than Timothy hay, so I just put timothy hay on the floor of their cage because it is a bit course and short. My boys get 2 kinds of hay, Orchard and Timothy hay.
IMG_0219.webp

I have giant balls my 2 boys eat off of and I put Orchard Hay in there. Orchard hay is a bit softer than Timothy hay, so I just put timothy hay on the floor of their cage because it is a bit course and short. My boys get 2 kinds of hay, Orchard and Timothy hay.
View attachment 215037
Just to make you aware that the smaller blue metal ball above is one of those associated with guinea pigs getting their heads trapped.
Of course it all depends on the exact bar spacing and the size of your guinea pigs, but personally it would be better to avoid using it if possible.

We use litter trays and pile the hay up in those. One of my girls is pretty well litter trained and most of her wees are done in the tray bless her. I don’t know how but she’s sort of taught herself to wee In there. I think it helps as they’re on fleece. So they associated the trays with toileting now. However the rest of them pee and poop everywhere haha. We also liked using fabric hay bags as long as the piggies isn’t prone to chewing it. X

Just to make you aware that the smaller blue metal ball above is one of those associated with guinea pigs getting their heads trapped.
Of course it all depends on the exact bar spacing and the size of your guinea pigs, but personally it would be better to avoid using it if possible.
Below is the small ball, hanging with Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay. Ball is hung well above their height and they have to look up to reach for the hay. I have had this ball since Finn was a baby and he is now 6 years old. I wasn't sure how to respond, so just took picture of it.

IMG_0237.webp

Mine all have hay racks now they are indoors, but they hang on the outside of the cage, when I tried the sort that hang inside they kept knocking them down, The snag with the outside hanging ones is that the pup thinks it's funny to take them off and shower hay everywhere, and I am always knocking them off myself, but they are safe for the guineas themselves.

We have ours like this...hay still ends up on the floor 🤣

Attachments

• 20221129_172409.webp
    20221129_172409.webp
    134.4 KB · Views: 16
I have a hay bag with two holes (the Hay Knickers, see photo) - seems to work fine, but I discovered the hard way that the holes have to be big enough for them to comfortably fit through, as they will force their way in anyway, and if the holes are too small they get stuck!

I also put hay out on the floor as they enjoy it so much, but the knickers mean they have a backup supply of clean hay if they are having a hungry night.

Attachments

• 20221105_134717.webp
    20221105_134717.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 13
I’m looking for the best method of feeding hay on the floor of their cage . Litter trays sound good. Newspapers do the eat thy newspaper too at all?

I’m looking for the best method of feeding hay on the floor of their cage . Litter trays sound good. Newspapers do the eat thy newspaper too at all?

Mine have had a nibble at the edge of any exposed newspaper so you would want to make sure it was covered.
If you’re using fleece, using a tray would probably be easiest

I just let them eat the newspaper, they love it so. They never eat very much but they love to rrrrrrrip it!

I use litter trays. Some times a hay cube or hay stand also but litter trays work the best as they prefer to urinate in there. I do have to be careful if any newspaper shows my girls always nibble it so I have to fold mine up well haha xx

Back