Are plywood houses/hideys safe to use?

Popcorns & Wheeks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently had to remove the piggies plastic pigloos due to both my piggies my Ruby and my Delilah (mainly Ruby) thinking it was their dinner and eating a very generous amount! Anyways, I have been on the lookout for two new wooden ones and have come across two that are both made from "good quality plywood."

I read online that plywood can be dangerous and toxic to piggies if it is chewed/eaten and just wondered if this is true. As we all know, some things we read online are not always accurate. So the question is, would plywood houses/hideys be suitable for my two rebellious little chewers? Does anybody else have housing made from plywood?

Also, do you think ingesting the plastic from their pigloos could cause any health issues? Thanks 🙂.

Plywood is made of serval layers of thin wood glued together, which makes it unsafe for piggies, safer to buy them carrots boxes or plane, not printed cardboard boxes. As w,hat ever you give them they WILL chew them up, better safe than sorry.

More than likely, I find piggies are chewers of fleece bedding and cozies
Thanks for your reply. Yer the fleece tunnels I've been looking at say they are made of teddy fleece and wadding. I'm always so cautious now when it comes to buying things with people selling stuff that is not safe.

I've never had a piggy chew fleece items, although Timmy is pulling the bobbles off the cheap bobble mats I bought so he has to have the more expensive ones the bobbles won't come out of! I give mine wooden tunnels, cardboard boxes, toilet roll inners and paper bags stuffed with hay. They have a great time chewing those which maybe takes their minds and teeth away from fleece.

Back