Are plastic tubes safe

Elizabeth Beadle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all Piggy friends. I just wanted to know if you think Plastic tunnels are safe in Piggy Enclosures. My boys love them but I've noticed chewing. I lost one of my boys on Tuesday and it has left me paranoid. Thank you.

Plastic tubes are generally considered safe if they are wide enough, but they may get hot and humid with limited airflow, and shouldnt really be left in the cage if there is noticeable chewing.
Cardboard tubes, or woven grass tunnels, are safer for chewing and have better ventilation, but cant really be cleaned so need replacing more often.
Personally I'm not a fan of plastic furniture for piggies myself, but some people are as it can be thoroughly washed and disinfected- mostly a matter of personal choice, but perhaps avoid using them in hot weather.
Sorry you lost your piggy, plastic chewing should be avoided but sometimes happens and a bit of accidental plastic ingestion rarely causes illness because piggies chew things up very small and plastic often passes through the gut without incident, so please don't blame yourself x

I’m so sorry you lost your piggy. My Percy loves his plastic tunnel and his pigloo. But I don’t leave them in with him all day as he is a bit of a gnawer. He only gets them at playtime.

Plastic tubes are generally considered safe if they are wide enough, but they may get hot and humid with limited airflow, and shouldnt really be left in the cage if there is noticeable chewing.
Cardboard tubes, or woven grass tunnels, are safer for chewing and have better ventilation, but cant really be cleaned so need replacing more often.
Personally I'm not a fan of plastic furniture for piggies myself, but some people are as it can be thoroughly washed and disinfected- mostly a matter of personal choice, but perhaps avoid using them in hot weather.
Sorry you lost your piggy, plastic chewing should be avoided but sometimes happens and a bit of accidental plastic ingestion rarely causes illness because piggies chew things up very small and plastic often passes through the gut without incident, so please don't blame yourself x
Thank you so much for your help, advise and reassurance. I have decided to remove them from their pens and make something similar out of cardboard. X

Back