Are my piggies missing out? (Extended cage instead of floor time)

Elviscossie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two sows, sisters, nearly a year old, and I want to check my cage set up and floor time set up are good for them. I also have a chronic pain disorder which makes it difficult with some aspects, which is why I have the set up I have - I just want to make sure I'm not missing something in their care.

I have a 3x4 c&c cage, which is raised for easy access (and for all their storage too!) They each have a wooden castle hidey, and I use a cat litter tray for their hay tray. Fleece liners for the bottom and I swap out towels every couple of days in poo corner/have made extra waterproof liners for their hidies to swap out too.

For floor time, I don't have a set time for them to go. I essentially extend their cage for 4 nights a week (Mon-Fri) by laying down mattress protectors, towels and fleeces in a c&c set up I've made foldable, which is 3x8. I've got two ramps my husband made with steep sides, and I open one of the c&c grids from their main cage to set a ramp from that to one of those lap breakfast trays, and from that to the floor, though usually they just jump from the lap tray to the floor or climb onto a carrot top cottage and jump from there. I know they love going down there as Cassie, who I think is the boss, waits very impatiently for me to finish laying the floor and put the ramp up. She's usually down it before I've even stepped out the extension.

I'm sort of worried that they just see this as part of their cage, and therefore it doesn't count as floor time. They have lots of zoomies and popcorns whilst they're down there, with hideys and tunnels, and a treat ball. All food is in their actual cage, though there's a water bottle both downstairs and upstairs. I've also started putting their pellets under the lap table as they always used to leave them completely, and I know they need the extra nutrients.

If I am missing something, are there any tips on how I can make set up/clean up easier?

Here's a picture of how it looks today - have just finished a 7 day work week, but off the next 2 days, and I don't like them not having all that space when I'm not in the house to interact with them. My hubby got them for me as he started working nights and knew I had wanted pets since childhood. He thinks they're cute, but isn't interested in them beyond when it's laptime and KitKat (the shy blonde tucked in the castle) is sniffing for peas.

IMG_20210829_225229262_HDR.webpIMG_20210829_225212908_HDR.webpIMG_20210829_225152435_HDR.webp

Looks like a great alternative to floor time. I'm sure they really enjoy it 🥰
The only thing I would suggest is to put some hay in the big area as well 👍

The cage is fantastic!

Dont worry about them not eating pellets. They are the least important and least healthy part of the diet. While they do have their place in ensuring they do get all the nutrients, by ensuring you give a good range of veg and by using forages to give a good balance, you can actually cut pellets right down and some choose to cut them out completely.

I am in awe over the piggy-castle! What a fantastic cage, I'm sure they're very happy :wub:

That really looks a lovely set up and plenty of space and fun piggy things in there, lucky girls :)

Hiya, I've removed your postcode from your profile, town, city or county will do for location. 👍

I love your set up! Looks great! I think when your cage is a certain size it kind of takes the benefit away from floor! :)

Back