Are heating blankets safe for my pigs

Lauraarse03

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good morning I've been on here a lot asking all different kinds of questions and how to take the perfect care of my pigs I have four pigs they're in two separate cages I just started using fleece bedding but it's pretty chilly now where I live and it gets down to about 40°, I was wondering if baby heating blankets were safe for me to use for my guinea pigs in their cage right now because I can't find PetSafe heating pads please let me know

I don’t know what you mean by baby heating pads? Perhaps you could add a link to the specific item you have in mind so we can be sure we are looking at the same thing!

Snugglesafe heatpads are rodent safe. They are heated in a microwave and the piggies have no way of chewing through/getting to cables etc

Yeah I want to buy a bunch of those little heating pads for them next week but right now it's freezing in here and I don't want them to be cold so I'm trying to figure out right now what I could use to keep them warm a heating blanket is just a blanket that's connected to wires and it warms up and they have them for babies also so I was thinking of maybe just grabbing one blanket covering the wire so they don't chew through them so they at least can stay warm for now

Yeah I want to buy a bunch of those little heating pads for them next week but right now it's freezing in here and I don't want them to be cold so I'm trying to figure out right now what I could use to keep them warm a heating blanket is just a blanket that's connected to wires and it warms up and they have them for babies also so I was thinking of maybe just grabbing one blanket covering the wire so they don't chew through them so they at least can stay warm for now

I would not use anything which has wires. It is a big risk that they will chew them. A blanket over the wire would offer absolutely no protection - they would have no problem pulling off a blanket to get to the wire.

If you can’t get proper snugglesafes until next week, then cover the cage with a blanket to stop draughts and stuff lots of hay into the cage but also into hides and cardboard boxes.

I would not use anything which has wires. It is a big risk that they will chew them. A blanket over the wire would offer absolutely no protection - they would have no problem pulling off a blanket to get to the wire.

If you can’t get proper snugglesafes until next week, then cover the cage with a blanket to stop draughts and stuff lots of hay into the cage but also into hides and cardboard boxes.
Ok thank you so much . They're inside I don't ever put them outside it's just now that it's getting cold cuz I live in Massachusetts I want to make sure they're warm because the heat's not on yet

I wouldn’t use anything electrical in the piggies’ cage.
If your house is cold you can always cover their cage with fleece blankets to help keep the draughts out

You can also often get small heaters designed to keep one room warm.
If you feel the house is too cold maybe you could get something like this for the piggies room just to take the chill off?

I peg old bath towels around the outside of my cage to help keep the piggies warm, plus extra hay and plenty of fleece tunnels for them.

Back