Are Hair Trimmers One Step Too Far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBird

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm guessing the answer is yes but...

I have a pig that has a bit of sheltie in there somewhere. She looks short haired but her fur is extremely soft and thick. Since it has gotten hotter it is clear she is not comfortable. Happily accepting the trim at her back end which she usually hates. It got me wondering would using a set of clippers be too much for a pig to handle? It would be a quick way to get half an inch of fur off her generally rather than trying to take chunks off her and hope it's enough to keep her cool.

As I say, I reckon the answer is probably yes and the buzzing and the noise would probably freak them out. I just wanted to run it past the experts.

I use hair clippers on Tia. She also has very fine hair, I have to put the clipper into her hair (straight of course) as you are doing that hold the hair you are clipping on the top of the blade. Then you get the hair you want cut off, else the blade will slip through the fine, hair.
Sorry this is the best I can describe it

I use clippers on Bramble. Getting her to sit still for 5 minutes if that for a clip is far easier than getting her to behave for half an hour or so to trim xD
I bought ones designed for dogs faces, theyre pretty quiet although she is mostly if not totally deaf now anyway, but I used them before she lost her hearing and she handled it really well. They were only £20 on Amazon too and once charged, last for hours. I bought them last year and have only charged them once!

I use clippers on my long haired piggy. They're just Wahl ones from Argos and not even particularly quiet but Tommi doesn't seem fazed by them. I don't run the clippers through her hair but gather it between my first and second fingers like I was going to cut it with scissors, but then I run the clippers along my fingers to cut through the hair (I don't use the guard on the clippers either). She ends up with a 'choppy' cut and it 'ain't going to win any prizes at a beauty salon, but she doesn't care!!

I use clippers on Betsy. She has just had her summer grade 4 haircut. I bribed her with grass to keep still and she was fine. I only did to her shoulders with clippers and then got the scissors out. She doesn't look very pretty but at least she's cool. Betsy is a Sheltie btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back