Are green beans more fattening than lettuce?

Princess Dustmop

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Miss Latte loves her green beans ... I had been giving her a couple a week, but have slowly moved to more like one a day. Well, she's definitely getting on the ... dense side. I wouldn't call her overweight at this point, as we're probably only talking about less than 50g, but her heft has increased a touch, so I think she does need to watch her figure a bit. I'm cutting back her pellets slightly (not that there's much to cut back ... I can't give Lexa pellets and not Latte, she'll just have a less full scoop and get fewer when doled. (Lexa does not need to lose weight ... if anything, she could stand to gain the 30-50 grams.)) I'm not necessarily looking for Latte to lose weight, and certainly not quickly, but I don't want her gaining more!
Anyways, the one difference in their diets is that Latte gets a green bean with dinner, and Lexa doesn't like green beans, so she doesn't get one. I looked at the nutrition of green beans vs lettuce, and lettuce has about 2/3 the caloric density of green beans (that is, for the same 100g of lettuce and green bean, lettuce has about 17-20 Calories vs about 30 Calories for the green beans).

If I just cut back Latte's green beans, could that help her keep her girlish figure? Would she be happier getting half green beans at similar frequency or whole green beans less often ... I'd ask her, but she votes for all the green beans as often as possible.

C126B600-C224-4BE7-A4AA-95EED762A964.jpeg
"I get green bean now?"

Hello that’s a tough one …..my boars do have a green bean , lettuce leaf, slice of pepper and cucumber each for supper. I give a tablespoon of pellets for breakfast. Unlimited hay throughout the day and a few sprigs of coriander at bed time -
They’ve remained the same weight since they were 6 months old.
I guess it’s try it and see how it goes ….half a green bean sounds ok for Latte.
Good luck

Mine get half a green been each when I have them in. If Latte is used to a whole green been you may have a riot on your hands! :yikes:

Green beans definitely have more calories than lettuce. Not enough to make a difference to humans, but I suppose it could make a difference to a piggy.

Trying to deal with a lardy pig who has a skinny flatmate is a real challenge. Our last two were like this, one was the weight of an oven ready chicken and had to have his pellets cut back, but the other was always skinny and a slow eater because he had a head tilt. I never quite felt that we really figured it out.

:)):)) Oven ready chicken :)) Had the same here with Luigi and Lolo with size differences and him being a porker but he’s slimmed down now, wish I’d thought of that nickname before, would’ve been perfect for him! XD

So Miss Latte loves her green beans ... I had been giving her a couple a week, but have slowly moved to more like one a day. Well, she's definitely getting on the ... dense side. I wouldn't call her overweight at this point, as we're probably only talking about less than 50g, but her heft has increased a touch, so I think she does need to watch her figure a bit. I'm cutting back her pellets slightly (not that there's much to cut back ... I can't give Lexa pellets and not Latte, she'll just have a less full scoop and get fewer when doled. (Lexa does not need to lose weight ... if anything, she could stand to gain the 30-50 grams.)) I'm not necessarily looking for Latte to lose weight, and certainly not quickly, but I don't want her gaining more!
Anyways, the one difference in their diets is that Latte gets a green bean with dinner, and Lexa doesn't like green beans, so she doesn't get one. I looked at the nutrition of green beans vs lettuce, and lettuce has about 2/3 the caloric density of green beans (that is, for the same 100g of lettuce and green bean, lettuce has about 17-20 Calories vs about 30 Calories for the green beans).

If I just cut back Latte's green beans, could that help her keep her girlish figure? Would she be happier getting half green beans at similar frequency or whole green beans less often ... I'd ask her, but she votes for all the green beans as often as possible.

View attachment 213442
"I get green bean now?"

Poor you.

Green beans are much higher in oxalates and can contribute to the formation of bladder stones in piggies with a disposition; they should not be part of a daily diet and are filling more the part of a treat.

Green beans are much higher in oxalates and can contribute to the formation of bladder stones in piggies with a disposition; they should not be part of a daily diet and are filling more the part of a treat.
Really? I got the idea to feed green beans from the balanced sample diet ... it was listed as an optional item ... They're certainly higher in oxalates than, say, coriander, but comparing they seemed similar enough to lettuce when I wasn't thinking about weight ... snap beans are a higher in calories, sugar, vitamin C, and magnesium. I liked that it was something different to give her that she ate. Neither pig will touch any herbs I've offered, and they're quite picky on peppers (if I bought it at the grocery store, it's inferior and won't be eaten, but if it came off one of out plants, it's a treasure); corn leaves were happily accepted, but they're seasonal.

Really? I got the idea to feed green beans from the balanced sample diet ... it was listed as an optional item ... They're certainly higher in oxalates than, say, coriander, but comparing they seemed similar enough to lettuce when I wasn't thinking about weight ... snap beans are a higher in calories, sugar, vitamin C, and magnesium. I liked that it was something different to give her that she ate. Neither pig will touch any herbs I've offered, and they're quite picky on peppers (if I bought it at the grocery store, it's inferior and won't be eaten, but if it came off one of out plants, it's a treasure); corn leaves were happily accepted, but they're seasonal.

I use beans as an item to illustrate that there is room for little changes to a diet, not that beans are recommended to feed daily. I certainly don't do it. ;)

Back