Are finished toilet rolls safe for guinea pigs?

bambiandzinnia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've heard and seen from popular guinea pig youtubers that finished toilet rolls (just the cardboard piece) can be good entertainment for them, my guinea pigs aren't too big on toys and prefer hideys that have have hay or carrots in/on them (they're very food motivated) so as i was mentioning i thought cardboard would be good for them as they arent interested in the toys i buy them, I've been giving them toilet rolls for a while now sometimes stuffed with hay or forage and sometimes just to chew on, I was in my room (where my guinea pigs also stay) I noticed they were running around a lot but i had my back turned to them and assumed they were just having "zoomies" i then looked back to check on them and one of my guinea pigs were frozen in a corner with her head stuck in the little toilet roll tube, I was really shocked this happened and i got up immediately to go to her cage, her hearing me get up but not being able to see me caused her to flip around and run into a hidey, I lifted her hidey up and gently pulled it off and then she was fine, I've removed the toilet roll thing and dont plan on putting it back in incase this were to ever happen when i wasnt around, has this ever happened to anyone else and are they safe?

I've heard and seen from popular guinea pig youtubers that finished toilet rolls (just the cardboard piece) can be good entertainment for them, my guinea pigs aren't too big on toys and prefer hideys that have have hay or carrots in/on them (they're very food motivated) so as i was mentioning i thought cardboard would be good for them as they arent interested in the toys i buy them, I've been giving them toilet rolls for a while now sometimes stuffed with hay or forage and sometimes just to chew on, I was in my room (where my guinea pigs also stay) I noticed they were running around a lot but i had my back turned to them and assumed they were just having "zoomies" i then looked back to check on them and one of my guinea pigs were frozen in a corner with her head stuck in the little toilet roll tube, I was really shocked this happened and i got up immediately to go to her cage, her hearing me get up but not being able to see me caused her to flip around and run into a hidey, I lifted her hidey up and gently pulled it off and then she was fine, I've removed the toilet roll thing and dont plan on putting it back in incase this were to ever happen when i wasnt around, has this ever happened to anyone else and are they safe?

I usually recommend to cut the toilet roll inners lengthwise before using them for enrichment, the same as cutting any handles on brown paper bags in order to avoid experiences like yours because they are always very upsetting.

Back