Are dried fruits and nuts good for my piggy?

AIRPIEGAMING

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I bought a bag of treats for guinea pigs and bunnies. It contains: peeled peanuts, dried banana, dried apple, bean flakes, corn flakes, colored drops (wheat flour, corn flour, eggs, sugar, baking powder), dried peaches, dried pineapple. It also has some additives such as: dyes and flavoring compounds. Is it safe to treat my piggy with these? She especially loves corn flakes.

I am afraid that food is not suitable for guinea pigs. They should not have nuts at all, some dried fruit is okay as a treat occasionally but it is high in sugar and should be fed sparingly. Food dyes etc should also be avoided.

Diet Guides
Do you know any widely available treats I can use to bound a little bit more with her?

Herbs are good and with the strong smell most piggies find them irresistible, also with the majority being long they can really help build the relationship. Pea flakes are a premium treat but need to be given sparingly. I assume you want the things that can be hand fed?

Do you know any widely available treats I can use to bound a little bit more with her?
How I bond with my piggies is just using their daily portion of veggies and hand feed them! You could also hand feed pellets (if you feed them) or some guinea pig safe herbs (in moderation).
I also occasionally pick some nice fresh, long grass strands (just make sure they are dog pee and pesticide free and haven’t been mowed) This is particularly good for new or skittish piggies as they needn’t get too close to your hand.

As above I use fresh herbs, grass and dandelions. Sometimes a green bean or a small slice of carrot, dried forage like mint or calendula flowers. I always feed the first pellet of their daily allowance by hand and sometimes keep a few back to hand feed during the day.

I agree in that to use just their normal daily veg portion and hand feed them. You don’t need to buy anything special to bond with them.

Definitely do not feed the mix you have mentioned though as it is dangerous to piggies.
It’s awful they it is sold as suitable for piggies and bunnies as it most definitely is a huge health hazard

Thank you for your answers y'all, I will give her her daily veg portion as a snack and a treat. I am getting her out using a box and putting her on the couch. Usually she doesn't move for a bit since she is scared but then I put some hay in front of her and she eats it. I also got her a toy she pushes with her nose and it has a ball inside that makes sound. The thing is, when there is hay in front of her she doesn't care about anything else she just eats and if there is no hay she usually remains scared. (Or just doesn't move I'm not sure what that means.)

Back