are different ‘cuts’ of hay needed?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
just wondering if you have to feed a mix of soft and corse cut hay or if feeding just soft hay is okay for my girls? i have bought numerous hay samples to see what their favs are (spoilt or what😆❤️) and both prefer the soft timothy hay over the stalky, hard timothy hay however the meadow hay is obviously soft and so i wasn’t sure if you had to feed a harder timothy to help maybe teeth or something? may just be over thinking this but thought id still ask! thanks all😅

Any grass hay is fine.
Both my rabbits and two of the piggies are fed on a mix of meadow and soft timothy (majority is meadow hay). They don’t like the coarse timothy.
The other two piggies are currently only fed meadow hay (i may keep them exclusively on meadow given they eat it so well)

I generally only go for stalky timothy (and the occasional orchard) because anything else gets ignored. They don't want it for bedding, they wouldn't eat it, it ended up being a waste. The orchard is the softest hay they've wanted and it's still relatively stalky compared to something like meadow hay. Whatever they will eat, that's what I'll buy.

Any grass hay is fine.
Both my rabbits and two of the piggies are fed on a mix of meadow and soft timothy (majority is meadow hay). They don’t like the coarse timothy.
The other two piggies are currently only fed meadow hay (i may keep them exclusively on meadow given they eat it so well)
perfect thankyou!
yes they definitely loved the soft timothy from these samples however they absolutely LOVE the stalky bag from P@H! i will go ahead with their favourite then😁

I generally only go for stalky timothy (and the occasional orchard) because anything else gets ignored. They don't want it for bedding, they wouldn't eat it, it ended up being a waste. The orchard is the softest hay they've wanted and it's still relatively stalky compared to something like meadow hay. Whatever they will eat, that's what I'll buy.
fussy pigs haha! mine seem to like a really stalky, hard timothy from P@H but not interested in the corse sample stuff!

fussy pigs haha! mine seem to like a really stalky, hard timothy from P@H but not interested in the corse sample stuff!

I gave the goblins some timothy from P@H, but it wasn't stalky enough, lol. They've got some very weird tastes, lol. But they won't touch meadow, or crau (fancy organic meadow, lol), third cut timothy (the soft one),and they'll put up with rye although they sort of look at me like, "Do we have to?"

I buy 2 kinds of hay Timothy hay and Orchard Oxbow hay. Timothy hay is stiff so I put it on the ground. Orchard hay is softer so put it inside balls and they roll the balls around and eat hay.

i feed mainly soft timothy from a bale from a farm.occasionally buy orchard grass hay from Timothyhay.co.uk which is soft and green.mine prefere meduim soft meadow hay overall.

Below is Orchard grass Oxbow hay Balls my 2 boys roll around eat from. This is from 50 pound Oxbow Orchard grass hay because I never want to run out of hay, :xd:
IMG_0219.jpgIMG_0224.jpg

Timothy Oxbow Hay I get is rather short and rough, and I buy the 9 pound bag of Oxbow Timothy to put on the bottom of their cage.
IMG_0222.jpgIMG_0225.jpg

Back