are acrylic paints safe?

Teacake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be safe to paint some wooden hides for my piggies with acrylic paint? They generally dont chew on their hides since they have lots of other toys and forms of enrichment to keep them busy & i would remove anything painted if they did start to chew.

I wouldn’t paint them at all. Better safe than sorry. A few years back a friends dog was poisoned licking a newly painted fence. I’m not criticising pet safety paint . Just wondering whether it’s safe for larger pets but potentially dangerous for small ones

i painted them with child safe acrylics & will remove them asap if they start to chew them. luckily mine only really chew willow but i will keep an eye on them. thanks for all the suggestions !

i painted them with child safe acrylics & will remove them asap if they start to chew them. luckily mine only really chew willow but i will keep an eye on them. thanks for all the suggestions !
Any paint that is child safe will be fine for guinea pigs.
If you are only using the paint to add decoration to a house or hide, even if they chew it is unlikely to be a problem.
They would have to ingest a serious amount of paint to be an issue.

Mine don't chew the wood. I have a pine house and ramp that they use all the time. Does your guinea pig eat it?

One of my last pair would have. You know those bendy log bridges/tunnels? He would strip the wood off that, not all the time but occasionally he'd fancy a gnaw at it and off he'd go. I wouldn't chance it.

Forty years of owning Guinea Pigs I've never had issue. Most cardboard and hide huts are made of pine wood. Anyways back on topic, I like to dye the pine wood with Kool aid crystals.🖌️🎨

Back