Anyone with experience bonding a new pair with bereaved solo?

moldymoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 5 year old girl Dot lost her cagemate Oreo Tuesday pretty suddenly (she had heart problems, nothing contagious or viral). The first time Dot lost her cagemate, the vet was pretty sure Dot was going through acute pining as she had stopped eating and drinking and was destroying her enclosure within 48 hours, so we immediately went out and found Oreo. That cagemate passed at the vet whereas Oreo passed in the cage which gave Dot the opportunity to clean her a little and say goodbye (while I sobbed in the corner....)

Dot's doing fine this go around, she's eating and drinking normally, coming for treats etc, so I know I have a little time to plan and find her a new buddy.

With Dot being an older pig, would it be better to try and get a bonded pair so that I'm not going through this process again in a few years? I've found a potential pair that are both about a year old, but I'm struggling to find a solo pig which is why I'm now wondering if it's possible/a good idea to get a pair. So would it be better to keep checking for a solo girlie or attempt to bring in two new pigs? And does anyone have any experience trying to bond two new piggies to an existing solo? I've bonded Dot before so I know what to expect, but not necessarily bringing in TWO new buddies. This might even be a bad idea altogether or too much stress for Dot, but like I said, I have a little time so I'm trying to figure out all my options.

Thanks in advance <3

Sows can live in groups so in theory bonding her with two piggies is fine to do (provided your cage is big enough for three) However it all comes down to character compatibility and bonding a pair with a single isn’t always straightforward.

Have you considered looking for a neutered boar for her to be with?

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Back