Anyone Used A Deodorising Spray On Their Guineas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojessgaz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone used a deodorising spray ...refresh spray on their guinea pigs. got mine from pets at home and used it today and love it but wanted to make sure it was OK for them if anyone had and experience of them. it smells gorgeous . . so do they now! didn't want to give them a full bath as I didn't think they needed it. it was just they had an odour about them. they are 7mths old and never been near water or baths. can I use it maybe every 4mths or so.. just when they are getting a little smelly again.

I use deodorizing spray on my piggy and it works well. I also use it in his cage. Just make sure you don't spray their face or ears. :)

I use deodorizing spray on my piggy and it works well. I also use it in his cage. Just make sure you don't spray their face or ears. :)
how often do you use... can I then lightly spray round the cage too as I have fleece to freshen up ... I only do from their lower neck top of back down anyway so stay clear of face and ears

My experience is the same as @Mother Hubbard 's - boars are more smelly than sows, but with regular cleaning and changing of bedding I've never needed a deodorising spray.
thanks VickiA with mine being long haired I havnt bathed them at all, they just had a slight odour about them... a little like what my fleece were smelling like when they came out of the washer... with no freshener and un perfumed washing liquid you could still smell ...but I use Dettol now as advised and the fleeces smell great .... just didn't want the piggies to go through a bath when it wasn't needed... or would you think that was better than spray ?

how often do you use... can I then lightly spray round the cage too as I have fleece to freshen up ... I only do from their lower neck top of back down anyway so stay clear of face and ears

Yes, I have fleece as well and it smells. You can spray around their cage but just don't spray their food. :D

To be honest i'm not keen on guinea pig deodorant products. Guinea pigs do lick their fur and wash themselves and that, and if the spray can't go in their food I can't help thinking maybe it's not that great for them to ingest it.

I have to confess i'm a big fusspot though :nod: and i generally don't like anything being sprayed in the same room as my guinea pigs. Ever. I just don't want chemical stuff getting on them and their hay basically, its one of my pet-hates.

I also wouldn't fully bath a guinea pig during a spell of cold weather though, not unless it was advised by a vet for medical reasons; like to treat a skin problem or something like that.

I've had a long-haired guinea pig before, but i combed him and cut his hair short so it didn't really drag on the floor and he stayed as clean and tidy as my short-haired ones do. But not everyone likes to cut their piggies hair, it depends what you're happy with.

To be honest i'm not keen on guinea pig deodorant products. Guinea pigs do lick their fur and wash themselves and that, and if the spray can't go in their food I can't help thinking maybe it's not that great for them to ingest it.

I have to confess i'm a big fusspot though :nod: and i generally don't like anything being sprayed in the same room as my guinea pigs. Ever. I just don't want chemical stuff getting on them and their hay basically, its one of my pet-hates.

I also wouldn't fully bath a guinea pig during a spell of cold weather though, not unless it was advised by a vet for medical reasons; like to treat a skin problem or something like that.

I've had a long-haired guinea pig before, but i combed him and cut his hair short so it didn't really drag on the floor and he stayed as clean and tidy as my short-haired ones do. But not everyone likes to cut their piggies hair, it depends what you're happy with.
That's a very good point... I didn't think re them cleaning themselves. that has put me off a little but I do cut them though they hate it.. but brushing seems to be even worse for them than the scissors ! ! I will try and use as little as possible . thanks for the advise . ..I definitely don't spray in the too either

Awww... I remember when I had my long-haired boy and he really didn't enjoy being groomed that much either!

He always looked better afterwards, but i had to bribe him with all his favourite veggies!

At 7months old your piggies are quite young and rebellious, but i'm sure that with patience they will settle into a grooming routine and look even more fabulous :wub: :luv:

My piggy is long haired too but he doesn't mind a haircut. I also give him baths that he doesn't mind ether, but he does not like being brushed.

Some much prefer grooming to other's.

I ended up with a whole collection of brushes trying to find one my long-haired boy preferred. He was very much a dramatic piggie anyway, but i just kept trying and we eventually worked out a grooming routine that he would tolerate.

I found the trick really was to approach it calmly, gently, patiently, and with determination... :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back