Anyone Know How To Stop Slugs?

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I have a double decker hutch with a run at the bottom. I have put a false floor on it with help and advice from @Tim and I have a cover for it too. This has stopped quite a few slugs from getting in the bottom of the hutch but I still get the odd few :vom:. Anyone know of a good way to stop them? Would a copper strip around the false floor help? The false floor is a sandwich of waterproof ply and floor insulation covered in a waterproof membrane and is about 6" high then the hutch is sat on top.

I'm a keen gardener and I've read that strategically placed compost heaps in the garden can deter slugs from going where you don't want them as they'll be attracted to the compost instead. I haven't tried it myself but if you run out of options it may be worth a go!

Reactions: Tim
ive had some slugs around my hutches and i hate them ,so grose,:vom:,i use salt,i go out at dark and put salt on any i see ! :))

The copper strip should work.

Have you tried dried egg shells?
Put broken/used egg shells in the oven to dry them out, then batter them with a rolling pin or hammer or even give them a quick whizz in a food processor. Tip the shell pieces round the legs of your hutch. Or flowers or whatever you dont want them on.
The slugs dont like the sharp, pointed edges of the shell so keep off of them. I have big tub saved up of dried shells. I just pour them where needed then-very eco friendly :nod:
Xx

Copper tape all round the bottom facing outwards should do the trick ;) It stopped them munching my chillies! :yahoo:

Any of the following from Amazon will do
IMG_4179.webp
:tu:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try the copper tape as I have tried the salt and that doesn't work as it only gets rid of the ones that I spot. Egg shells are a brilliant idea but my hutch has no legs it is straight onto the ground and the hutch is next to the path from the patio to the back gate so it wouldn't be practical. Ditto the piles of compost.

@Betsy I didn't realise it was you who started this thread, tired eyes! :doh: I have a few rolls of copper tape in the greenhouse, I can bring some with me to the Reading meet up if you can wait that long? :)

That's 2 of you who have said that now so my Piggies will only have to wait a bit longer to be slug free:D

I off on holibobs again on Saturday for 9 days and then it's only 4 more days until the meet when @Tim is going to let me have some of his surplus copper tape. I don't have time to do it before I go away as I have a caravan to pack up and a vet visit with Betsy my fave piggy.

@CriLondon :)) A ridiculous answer to a serious question..... Surely the only foolproof way is, the shot may miss the little blighters! -

mqdefault.jpg

:)E
@CriLondon :)) A ridiculous answer to a serious question..... Surely the only foolproof way is, the shot may miss the little blighters! -

mqdefault.jpg

:lol!:

Didn't want to go all nuclear , let's not forget that the initial issue of keeping the slugs away from the pigs : SOMETHING needs to remain alive in the aftermath !

:)E

:lol!:

Didn't want to go all nuclear , let's not forget that the initial issue of keeping the slugs away from the pigs : SOMETHING needs to remain alive in the aftermath !

That Sir, is a very good point :) I shall rethink my slug deterrent plan

My Mum had an even meaner looking toad living at her place. She even named the place where he lived 'The Toad Hole'! It was where the natural spring came out of the bank by the drive and made a nice little pool before being piped under the drive and under the patio to the pond. Yes it is as idyllic as it sounds!

I'll send Barney the hoglet over, he needs a good feeding ;)
IMG_4177.webp

Back