• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anyone In Northamptonshire....

• Thread starter Thread starter Pixie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pixie

that would be willing to cut my piggies nails for me? I can come to you, depending where you are. I just can't do it, they know I am nervous and scared of cutting to far, and they wriggle like mad. When the lady in the pet shop did it they sat as still as anything, she said it's because they know I am nervous of doing it.

Hi Pixie,

I took mine the vet yesterday but he didn't cut them as they aren't long enough. I had to go anyway and get them sexed as I wanted to be certain they were boys which they are! :-D Anyway, vet said use a nail file and that should help keep them shorter. I'm nervous about cutting them too. I read you post about not being keen on going the vets because of noisy animals but maybe you could get a first appointment in a quiet practise.

Take care,

Louise
x

No, we arent near sorry...you could try just cutting a little bit of each every few weeks, then they will stay at a nice level, and your confidence will build at the same time?

I was really nervous when I first did it and I get nervous with each new piggy, but you will get the confidence and you will find what works best for you. I use nail clippers, I have tried scissors and special nail clippers but nothing works for me as well as the little clippers. I have chopped a little too far once :( but Ronald was absolutely fine he couldn't careless, it bled a little and then stopped and I just kept an eye on it and it was fine. Just work on one foot or one toe at a time and when you get more confident you can do all in one sitting ;)

btw wrapping up the piggy in a towel, or having someone hold your pig whilst you cut the nails always help, as does a slice of cucumber to take their mind ofd what your doing :)

Try and get used to handling guinea first before you embark on a nail cutting exercise, it is easy, but only when you know how/are confident enough to do it :) I'm in Berkshire if you're ever around but it would be good for you to learn how to do it :)

Thanks for your replies. I have cut their nails, my daughter held them while I trimmed. 2 of the piggys were real drama queens,lol, but the other 2 were fine. I am hoping the nails don't grow back too quickly, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back