Anyone Heard Of This Before?

Reenie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just watched a video on YouTube, which says that if you put baking soda under the fleece, it pretty much eliminates the small from the cage. I know it works in the fridge or if you put it on fabric, so it does sound feasible, and I would guess, non-toxic. Has anyone tried this or know if it's safe? I have found that since there has been no grass available my piggies are a bit smellier, and if there is a safe way to reduce this, I'd be delighted!

Baking soda is used in home made rodent killers, carefresh added it to their bedding resulting in a lot of pet deaths I believe. Definitely not something you would want to put near your piggies. Shame really because it is really good for smells!

If you change the fleeces every 2 or 3 days wash them with viniger & non bio soap powder & they are fine
Do you put lots of pee pads in the cage.

Nice work and well spotted on the dangers

If you change the fleeces every 2 or 3 days wash them with viniger & non bio soap powder & they are fine
Do you put lots of pee pads in the cage.
It's not a major problem, as they have their own room, but since their diet has more veggies, they are definitely smellier - there was virtually no smell when they were having mostly grass. I spot clean once or twice a day, change their litter daily, and full change every 4-5 days, but the smell is there from day one when I change them, and doesn't get much different between changes. There appears to be some risk, so I would never expose them to this, and I can live with a wee bit of pong for all the love and affection I get in return.

Don't try its poisonous to GPs. If you strip the fleece properly it shouldn't smell. In all honesty I can get a week out of most of mine - changing puppy pads and high 'pee' areas as needed the rest is OK and doesn't smell (I sweep pit every night - replace pads etc). However if the newspaper under the puppy pads gets wet (because SOMEONE pees on the sodding wall) then that stinks!

I have found this on the internet about carefresh bedding and baking soda:-
Baking soda makes guinea pig ill – The Mercury News

I guess it is scientifically logical that baking soda could cause bloat, thinking about it. After all,baking soda is what you put in some cakes etc to make them rise, and isn't it also what you use if you want to make your own mini-volcano with one of those fun science kits? Well spotted, @Betsy!

Back