• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anyone heard of renal coccidiosis in guinea pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As part of the continuing saga of my piggies' ill health (all 3 have it, and the main symptom is painful urination with blood etc), my vet has mentioned that this might be a possibility. I have Googled and not come up with much. They are currently on yet more antibiotic - they have had 3 different types now, and it's either extremely persistent, or it isn't caused by a bacteria.

Hi,

really sorry to hear about this - which antibiotics have you tried (have you had any biopsies taken for a positive ID - I'm having a similar problem with another condition, and am awaiting the test results).

Yes you do need to have a lab test done to isolate the causal factor here,otherwise you are just treating blind.

I have never heard of renal coccidiosis in gps,I am not aware that they can get it.Your vet must have come across it before though to be considering it.

Painful heamaturia is usually caused by renal stone,but it would be a coincidence for 3 pigs to have stones at the same time.Renal infections are not normally passed on to other pigs so this must be something out of the ordinary.

If you have not done so already I would have urine and possibly blood samples sent off asap.

Thanks all. :) I've had a Google too, and it seems it is rare but not at all impossible to get. I am wondering also if it can be passed from poultry to pigs, as the place I got Holly (the first pig to show symptoms) from had chickens. Will go back to the vets and explore further.

I have done a lot of reading up on this and cannot find any reference to renal coccidiosis.Rabbits can get intestinal and hepatic coccidiosis but I cannot find any mention of coccidiosis of any type affecting gps.

Poultry can get the intestinal type,but it is species specific so would not have infected your gps.

It will be very interesting to see the result of the lab tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back