Anyone has an unheated shed for piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've just bought a 6x4 shed for the piggies, for the winter I'm putting them in their hutches in the shed..
They'll have their bedroom packed with hay/straw and snuggle safe do you think they'll be warm enough ?

I BOUGHT MY GUINEAS A 6 X 4 SHED FOR THE WINTER. ONE TIP I PICKED UP FROM THIS FORUM IS TO PUT A CURTAIN UP AT ONE END OF THE SHED TO PULL ACROSS THE FRONT OF THE HUTCHES IN THE TO KEEP OUT DRAFTS, OBVIOUSLY LEAVING A GAP FOR VENTILATION. I DRAW THE CURTAIN IN THE EVENING. I ALSO PUT COSIES IN FOR THEM AND IN THEIR HUTCHES THEY HAVE A LITTLE LOG CABIN THAT I COVER WITH A
SMALL BLANKET. THE SHED SEEMS WARM. WHEN IT GETS REALLY COLD & WILL PUT A HEATER IN THE SHED FOR A FEW HOURS EACH EVENING. I HOPE MINE KEEP WARM.

MIne live in the garage, and i have had no probs, they have loads of hay and when it snows it is warmr in the garage than when its frosty, very strange!

If you have a wickes by you they are selling thermal insulator (silver stuff) for a tenner and its a large roll will do your roof no problems. You can also use curtains over the top of hutches as suggested, I have a heavy lined curtain over the door. Heat pads are expensive but some people on here use them and Pumpkinpiggie has a great idea for a heat lamp if you can get electricity to you shed. Just putting them in the shed makes a difference tho O0

Mine are in a shed without heater. Lot of hay and i cover the hutches at night. They seem fine. Be better in spring when they can get out.

mine are in an unheated shed atm, I'm going to buy a heater though as its getting more and more cold by the day here in lancashire and when it freezes i put it on for an hour in the morning to warm the air off.

mine free range in my shed and they have a wooden house which fits 4 of them in together so they snuggle up, have plenty of hay and i have 4 blankets on top of their house to keep the heat in :)

Mine are all in an unheated shed....just pile in the hay and they will be fine O0

my seven are in an unheated shed, same setup as yours spudnik free range with a nesting box and a snugglesafe. the box is covered by fleece blankets doubled, will try and get them another sugglesafe for xmas.

have got cardboard then a plastic sheating around will try and get some of the silver insulating stuff also.

they are ok at moment.

Mine were in an unheated shed in the autumn and they were fine, it's gonna be freezing this weekend so any pigs out there without heat bung in loads of hay and they should be ok. At least they are sheltered at least. :)

Mine live in hutches in an unheated "shed"  All my hutches are covered with tarpaulins with blankets underneath, i have tarpaulins up at all the walls to prevent draughts & thick plastic at my windows & door.

The hutches all have woollen curtains at the fronts & my piggies are all lovely & toasty  :)

Mine are in an unheated shed aswell, just pile in the hay and pul a cover at night and there fine :)

My piggies are in a 10x6 shed and its quite cold in there :-\
At the moment though I'm having all thick boards up on the walls and built in hutches and wooden flooring and a lil heater what my mums getting the piggies as its a bit chilly :D so I'm sure theyll be ok if they have lots of hay and hidey places 0:)

i prefer them to have only one hidey place at night which is big enough for them to all fit in, that way they will all sleep in the same box .. providing your guineas get on that is, i know all my girls do. i always stick my hand into their bed at night to see if its warm and most nights it feels like they have central heating on in their little snuggle box, its amazing how much heat 4 little furries can make, the blankets on the top help keep the heat in :)

at my old house when i had a wooden shed i lay down newspaper, then bin liners and on top of that i put down wooden flooring to insulate the floor, put up boards around the sides and stuffed polystyrene behind them (the pigs could not get to it) and did the same snuggle box, with plenty of hay and blankets

Well they moved into the shed on Saturday. . I have two hutches in there and they take in turns having the run of the shed..
I have notcied some fur in Zac and Flopys hutch :'( no signs of any scratches on either of them though.
Do you think this could be because they can smell the other 2 piggies?

are they short haired? my long haired malts like my dog! lol so it could just be dead hair falling out.. if you have males and females running around in the same area, like the boys out then the girls etc the boys can smell females which may make them fight a bit.. normally its lots of rumbling and prancing about on all fours! lol ive got meeka in my room and the boys under her so they will get used to their smell..just watch out for any marks, bites to the ears, blood etc

maybe you could mop around before you let them boys out or have a piece of lino that girls runabout on and take that up when your boys go down to play.
if both pairs are male then i doubt its because they can smell each other..

No Zac is a very longed haired boy :)... They are all boys I was hoping to bond the four of them, they then would have the 6x4 shed and have a 5ft hutch to go into a night if they wanted to...
I have been told though that its not a good idea having 4 boars together.

ah right that will explain the hair loss then probably, ive onyl had short haired, then as soon as i got my coronet i nticed hair balls in the cage lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back