Anybody ever had this with a pair of pigs?

Rivervixen

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I’ve posted this video before but I’m going to link it again because they’re still doing the exact same. Has anyone ever had this with Guinea pigs? The video’s audio is mainly what I mean, it’s always the same too… Ozzy wanting space and them screaming at each other until Bruno chases him around and it begins again. I put the divider in if I’m afraid it’s going to escalate, which I’ve just had to do because they’re doing it at 6am! The thing is, when the divider is up it’s Ozzy who’s biting at it wanting it removed, like he tries to bulldoze it down even which tells me he is okay with this…? So confused :( after the divider has been in for a while they cool off and it’s usually just happy humping again but it’s been daily sessions of this “arguing” of theirs and I’m at wits end with it again!

13 June 2021

That sounds like its a broken bond. I can only go off what happened when I was trying to bond my old pair of girls with a new one and it was this kind of chatter that told me it wasn't going to work. May be someone else can chirp up but it looks like they need separating and boar dating.

Hmm, things do look a bit tense between them.

I would separate them for a few days and then try a neutral territory reintroduction.

A vet check may also be a good idea if this is a sudden change in behaviour.

Remind me, how old are they now?

Bonds In Trouble

That sounds like its a broken bond. I can only go off what happened when I was trying to bond my old pair of girls with a new one and it was this kind of chatter that told me it wasn't going to work. May be someone else can chirp up but it looks like they need separating and boar dating.
I really do hope this isn’t the case :( they’ve never actually fought or been physical with each other

Hmm, things do look a bit tense between them.

I would separate them for a few days and then try a neutral territory reintroduction.

A vet check may also be a good idea if this is a sudden change in behaviour.

Remind me, how old are they now?

Bonds In Trouble
They’re 4 now, this did start up again when they both had their illnesses at the same time but they’re both better now and it’s still going. I’ll keep the divider in for a few days and see where we end up. Ozzy is currently still trying to bulldoze the divider down to get to bruno, I’ve seen posts before that said to go off the submissive piggies behaviour and Ozzy just has me stumped honestly

Piggy politics.. Will never understand them. My well bonded girls have also had these bigger bickering sessions. One time it was so intense I was in tears thinking "This is it, I'll have to separate them". Granted, I can only recall a few of these incidents. 99% of the time they're great friends. If this is a daily occurrence and starts to escalate, I'd also separate them for a short while and try reintroducing.

I'm sorry, must be so stressful for you!

Piggy politics.. Will never understand them. My well bonded girls have also had these bigger bickering sessions. One time it was so intense I was in tears thinking "This is it, I'll have to separate them". Granted, I can only recall a few of these incidents. 99% of the time they're great friends. If this is a daily occurrence and starts to escalate, I'd also separate them for a short while and try reintroducing.

I'm sorry, must be so stressful for you!
I understand what you mean being in tears from it :( I was almost there this morning! My boys are usually great together minus Bruno’s turbo humping but Ozzy is very submissive and just sits there rumbling at himself anyway. Really hope the time out helps, I haven’t given up hope on this yet

Sending hugs, it’s horrible seeing them like this.
It does seem like a very tense relationship at the moment, I’d separate and give them chance to calm down. there sounded like some teeth rattling in there too as well as extreme annoyance.
Illness can upset the balance of their bond too. I remember when Bill had his operation and was recovering really well Ted was a little bit dominant whereas normally I could never really tell who was boss, they both rumbled but that was about it, they got on so well

Sending hugs, it’s horrible seeing them like this.
It does seem like a very tense relationship at the moment, I’d separate and give them chance to calm down. there sounded like some teeth rattling in there too as well as extreme annoyance.
Illness can upset the balance of their bond too. I remember when Bill had his operation and was recovering really well Ted was a little bit dominant whereas normally I could never really tell who was boss, they both rumbled but that was about it, they got on so well
Big hugs back thank you ❤️ they teeth chatter if it goes on for too long but it doesn’t happen often thankfully. Awww naughty ted! I’m glad they got on so well otherwise :) there’s nothing like a happily bonded boar pair, hoping mine get back to that.. if not I do have the 6x2 cage to begin with so the divider works just fine as well x

Fingers crossed they sort themselves out.

A bond break down is a sad thing.
My two new boys, Wilbur and Hugo, had to be separated nearly three weeks ago. The teens hit, they both decided they were boss, a big fight and I then had to spend a week working out how to make the fit side by side and still be able to get into the shed!

Fingers crossed they sort themselves out.

A bond break down is a sad thing.
My two new boys, Wilbur and Hugo, had to be separated nearly three weeks ago. The teens hit, they both decided they were boss, a big fight and I then had to spend a week working out how to make the fit side by side and still be able to get into the shed!
I’m so sorry that their bond didn’t work out :( the teen boar years are definitely something! I hope everything is going better for you and your piggies with the new arrangement x

I'm so sorry to hear this. My Ruby and my 🌈 piggie Susie (Mother and Daughter) used to do this during floortime but didn't do it whilst in their cage. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Back