Any Tips On Cutting Black Nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my boys has one black foot, the other boy has 4 black feet! His nails always look slightly longer than my other boys as I'm always too scared to cut his skin. Any tips?

mollie has black nails aswell. some people say shine a torch underneath and that will show the quick but nope, doesn't work for mollie's jet black nails! with mollie, i tend to find where the nail curves, move a little further down towards the end of the nail, and then trim. if i'm unsure about a particular nail then i'll put a little pressure on the nail before cutting just to see if she reacts, and then adjust from there. but i think it's a trial and error thing. i caught her quick once not long after she came here and i felt terrible! not happened since though *touch wood* :)

Both of my boys have 2 black feet. I've tried the light thing that @biscandmatt mentioned, it didn't work for us either, but I trim their nails also like they mentioned. Just the tip down the curve. :)

Haha aw, I know how you feel! I do what other people already said they do, I only cut the tip! I do it every week so I think their nails are okay :)

Linney had some very dark nails where you couldn't see the quick... I used to cut tiny amounts more often to try to keep them manageable without hurting her. I did still cut the quick a few times by accident though, poor girl! I've lucked out right now as both pigs have pink feet/clear nails, which is kind of a relief!

I've got one pig with one black foot. I tried the light thing too and it didn't work for me either!

The other one has almost brown nails on her front feet. She's a short haired pig but she seems to have hairy feet! Those were a bit tricky to trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back