Any tips for trimming a very ACTIVE guinea pig?

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Misa is as close to a sheltie as you can get without being a purebred sheltie. She is a mop. She needs hair trims. But she is also REALLY active, does not sit still, is very upset by grooming, and does not distract easily with food. So what is the easiest/safest way to trim her fur back, particularly around her bum and back legs, without traumatizing her and potentially hurting her as she flails and struggles and tries to run away? Right now one of my kids holds her while I go in with scissors, but it's obviously upsetting to her and I'm wondering if clippers or something would be safer/easier. Any tips on what tools to use and how to keep her calm and still enough to clip without injuring?

Here's Misa... she's gorgeous, but she needs a lot of upkeep and hates every minute of it! I feel bad that human selective breeding saddled her with this high-maintenance (but undeniably beautiful) coat!
1700070624788.webp

Wow she is a beauty! My Posh is a sheltie and I use a hair/beard trimmer. I found his far easier than using scissors and probably safer too

Attachments

• IMG_6727.webp
    IMG_6727.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I use clippers when trimming animals (cat and dog) and it really does help me feel less anxious! They're a lot easier to trim than guinea pigs though...

Thanks everyone! We will try a hair and beard trimmer, particularly on her hind end. She doesn't mind us snipping the sides, but any scissors around her bum and back legs gets her agitated!

There are "quiet" clippers that you can buy off of amazon. I use these to cut my autistic son's hair and they are pretty quiet. They are sometimes advertised as autistic friendly clippers or clippers for babies.

I let my wriggly Bobby ‘hide’ in a loose towel with some forage in it and that worked quite well - not for long tho 😂

Lexa is pretty cooperative as guinea pigs go, and I don't trim her very often, but if she's being fussy about being held for combing, I aim her head into the crook of my left elbow with enough space that she can borrow her nose between my arm and body but not enough space to fit her head and body. I support her rump with my left wrist and palm, manipulate her fur with my left fingers as necessary, and I comb with my right hand (I'm right handed.) I can do this somewhat with trimming, but it's easier if I can enlist a second person to hold to ensure an even trim.
I always wear a sweatshirt when combing or trimming to protect my arm from her nails and my shirt from her fur ... I also put a towel on my lap to contain fur. The sweatshirt also gives her something to tug at if she's trying to tell me to wrap it up (or prepare to wash the towel, haha.)

Back